Canobie Lake Park opened for the 2013 season a week ago and we’ve been getting many reports. We thought we would make an opening round up post like we did for Six Flags New England. The biggest change for the this season is the addition of Equinox. Canobie bought the ride last year off the European fair circuit. When Canobie buys a new flat, they often open it up at the end of their operating system and then market it as a new addition the following year. The case was no different this year.
Equinox does look like quite the exciting ride. Sadly, it has been down for maintenance these past two weekends. You can see how they installed the traditional European fair circuit backdrops. You don’t see many rides like this in a classic amusement park like Canobie.
Untamed is still a popular ride. It will surely be popular for years to come as there is nothing like this in the area.
2013 seems to be the year of Canobie refurbishing a lot of their existing rides. Probably the biggest example of this is the completion of the paint job on Canobie Corkscrew. Last year the park started the painting process while they were still open, painting it in the morning. This year it’s completed and it looks EXCELLENT.
It makes the coaster look brand new again, although it is as rough as ever. We are hearing that Canobie bought a new train for Corkscrew that will be ready for Memorial Day Weekend. We aren’t sure who manufactured the train quite yet. When we find out we will update this post, so stay tuned.
Caterpillar is in the process of going through a full rehab. As you may know, Caterpillar rides are now extremely rare and Canobie is fortunate enough to have one of them. There are only two other Caterpillar’s in the world. Seeing them refurbish this is reassuring and tells us that they have no plans to remove it in the near future!
Some other changes at the park this year:
- As mentioned at The Great Nor’Easter, the park bought a brand new cabin for Pirata, the pirate ship ride. The structure is still the same but the ship that swings up and down is brand new. That should make for better reliability.
- Dodgem’s also received a complete rehab, new murals in the background.
- They are in the process of building new docks on the lake.
- The lift hill and first drop for the log flume were totally replaced, continuing the rehab theme this year.
- Expanded parking with about 350 new parking spaces.
This is it for our Opening Round Up for Canobie Lake Park. If there is anything we missed, let us know and we will update the post. Special thanks goes to Alex for these fantastic pictures.