1. To fully experience SFNE Online, including full-resolution photos, please log in or consider joining our community!
    Dismiss Notice

10 Year Old Killed On World's Tallest Water Slide

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by MetsFan, Aug 7, 2016.

1. MetsFan

MetsFan Forum Leader

A 10 year old boy was killed on Schlitterbahn Kansas' Verruckt water slide today..

Read More

I've read unconfirmed reports that he was somehow decapitated.. This is also the same slide that had to be re-designed after rafts with dummies were flying off the ride during testing.....

Edit: most news sources confirm he was 10 not 12, so I will change the post and title back to it's original age of 10.
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2016
  2. Mikeokay

Mikeokay

Wow that's too bad. The article says that the rafts have to be between 400 and 550 lbs. that's such a small window.

Really a heartbreaking story. My condolences go out to the family.

Edit:

This is a good morning America segment that shows the rafts flying off the track during initial testing. Wow.
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2016
  3. koasterkid

koasterkid

Sad to hear, weird there aren't any more details. I don't think any rafts have flown off of this ride though. All the footage of that in a video was from a prototype test model I believe.
  4. Mikeokay

Mikeokay

My understanding was that the rafts flying off during testing led to them reprofiling the angles on the hump, but you may be right about that.
  5. tge98

tge98

I was under the impression that a good amount of the ride had mesh over your head.
  6. skiburkesurfjay

skiburkesurfjay

I've read articles where it states he was 10, and they had an age limit on the slide where you had to be 14. Maybe he got scared and bailed out of the raft, or it just caught too much air. Either way, awful accident, and not good for a relatively new slide.
  7. WiCy#1

WiCy#1 Administrator

I was seeing reports that he got decapitated. That would be inline with him flying out during the ride. Condolences to the family. This is a very, very sad situation.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. MetsFan

MetsFan Forum Leader

So authories confirmed his seat belt came undone and he was thrown into the netting and got decapitated- they say he slid the rest of the way down the slide without the raft and they found him at the bottom... So sad.

I'm not into jumping to conclusions, but many park guests have come forward saying their harness came undone too on different occassions and the employees just blew them off when they were alerted. This sounds like the park is in some trouble.
  9. mrceagle

mrceagle

@MetsFan Do you have a link to the Report?

To clear up some info the ride did have issues on the test runs like in the video. The ride was redesigned and the hump was re-profiled which cost somewhere around a million dollars. There was netting.

I did hear interviews that talked about the harnesses coming loose.
  10. WiCy#1

WiCy#1 Administrator

Aren't the harnesses velcro? How can velcro come loose?
  11. Medusa42

Medusa42

https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article224228640.html

“Schlitterbahn couldn’t say on Thursday whether it would open its Kansas City, Kan., water park in 2019, telling The Star “we don’t have any news” when asked if and when the attraction would open for the upcoming season.

Season passes for 2019 for that park were not available for sale Thursday on Schlitterbahn’s website, while customers could make those purchases for the company’s four Texas locations.

Winter Prosapio, spokeswoman for Schlitterbahn, acknowledged that Kansas City customers could buy season passes by now in years past.”

“Is Schlitterbahn considering selling its Kansas City park?

“There’s nothing I can tell you about that situation at this point,” Prosapio said.”
  12. mrceagle

mrceagle

Might not be a bad idea. Sell it off use the money to build a new park and let some one else operate it under a new name.
  13. Medusa42

Medusa42

I don't think Schlitterbahn can sell the park, EPR Properties technically owns it and two other Schlitterbahn parks.

From last April:
    "A company that holds the mortgage on the Schlitterbahn water park in Kansas City, Kan., is warning investors that criminal indictments against its operator and co-owner could hurt Schlitterbahn's chances of repaying the $174.3 million balance on the loan.

EPR Properties, a Kansas City-based real estate investment trust, reported in a filing Monday to the Securities and Exchange Commission that the March indictments against Jeff Henry, Schlitterbahn and other defendants "may negatively impact the likelihood of repayment of the related mortgage loans."

The filing is the first public indication that the indictments could imperil Schlitterbahn's business in Kansas City, Kan., if not the entire company itself.

EPR Properties said that if Schlitterbahn defaults on the KCK mortgage, EPR may restructure the mortgage loan or foreclose on collateral that secured the loan. That collateral includes the KCK property as well as Schlitterbahn property in New Braunfels, Texas, and South Padre Island, Texas."
    https://www.kansascity.com/news/article208441519.html
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. mrceagle

mrceagle

I guess The question is who own what percentage of the property. they for EPR to fund the parks they ow 174.3 million. The water park is one piece of a bigger property development. Trying to find info best I can fund is they have a giant plot of property and only a 40 acre water park.