1. To fully experience SFNE Online, including full-resolution photos, please log in or consider joining our community!
    Dismiss Notice

5 Day Mega Trip

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by depotrat, Jul 12, 2017.

1. depotrat

depotrat

Day 1 Fun Fore All, Kennywood

We hit the road early from CT for the long ride to greater Pittsburgh on the first leg of our 5 day, 15 park, 7 state mega coaster trip . Our trips are now starting further and further from home to reach new areas. It was almost 8 hours to our first stop – Fun Fore All, a FEC with one small coaster in Cranbury Township. It was in and out of there quick and on our way to KW but the arcade, go carts and mini golf did look good.

We arrived at Kennywood mid-afternoon. Our plan there was to ride Sky Rocket first as a new coaster and then do the three wood coasters multiple times, Exterminator (a themed coaster favorite from years ago) once and multiple rides on Phantom’s Revenge. Our plan went perfect and we worked in Noah’s Ark too. Bayurn Curve was closed so that was a miss again this time. We had a good time because it is a great park that is sadly just far enough away to keep us from visiting more often. I must say that Phantom’s Revenge was good but not as good as we remembered it from 10 years ago.

Next up Day 2 Kings Island, Coney Island, Strickers
    • Like Like x 4
  2. BizarroAj

BizarroAj Administrator

^which way did you go to kennywood? I can make it in 6.5hrs if you go I-80 west to the new I-99 that takes you right to pittsburgh. Wow im surprised at your statement about PR, as i just rode it the first week of june and it was running great and is still my #2 steel. Was black widow open when you were there?
  3. Chase Hathorne

Chase Hathorne

Phantoms Revenge is one of those coasters I've just been itching to get on! Hopefully soon! I'm guessing it's #2 to Superman?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. depotrat

depotrat

We went 84 West thru Danbury then south thru Scranton. Our first stop was Fun Fore All a bit north of Pittsburgh. We stopped a couple times too. As for PR, we still liked it but there were some rough spots even in the front. Maybe we just got unlucky with the train. It is still a top coaster but we had it #3 and now it would be down a few spots.
    --- Double Post Merged ---
    Day 2 Kings Island Strickers

Day 2 was a challenging day. The weather just would not cooperate. You may notice that Coney Island is not in the header. More on that later. We left the hotel Thursday AM in the rain and it just got worse. There were torrential downpours for the entire 2 hour drive to KI. It was so bad we didn't even go into the KI parking lot. We parked at a McDonald's a mile from the park and watched the lightning for an hour. At 11:15 we went in and parked and sat in the car for about 30 more minutes waiting for the heavy rain to pass. At Noon we were in the park but nothing was open. We had Fast Lane but nothing to use it on except Flight of Fear. Finally around 1 PM coasters began to open. We began touring the park getting rides. Lines were minimal and where they weren't we had the Fast Lane. We felt we were back on track. Around 3 PM we rode the Beast as our #500 coaster. That left 5 more coasters in the park and we did Vortex, Backlot Stunt Coaster, Flying Ace, Mystic Timbers in rapid succession. That left Diamondback and as we approached it they closed for lightning in the area. We couldn't see anything but they had it on radar. So now the waiting game.

We wanted to be on our way to Coney Island but didn't want to miss Diamondback either. We stayed there and decided to skip CI. It looked like a mistake as it remained closed but finally after most of the other rides re-opend, (we rode Beast and Mystic Timbers again while waiting, it opened at 5:15. We used FastLane to by pass a long line and got the elusive ride.

That completed our plan for every coaster in KI except the kiddie that does not allow adults. The Beast was our favorite followed by Mystic Timbers. The rest of the collection was unremarkable although Banshee and Diamondback were fun. The Bat was a blast from the past as we loved Big Bad Wolf at Busch.

So by skipping CI put us back on schedule to see our friends Thursday night. Stricker's Grove is a small park that is seldom open to the public. They have two small coasters and a kiddy park and their business is renting the park for company picnics. This week is the 4 H fair and the park is open to the public for a few days. We got there parked and waiting in a long line to buy tickets but soon after were riding both coasters. Neither was anything special but it was two credits that many enthusiasts have not achieved because of the lack of public access. I can imagine that kids must have a great time here when their family gets to come to a company picnic as the park was well kept and run.

Next up Kentucky Kingdom, Holiday World, Beech Bend
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  5. BizarroAj

BizarroAj Administrator

I noticed adventure express wasn't on your list of coasters, have you ridden it before? It's one of my favorite coasters in the park. How would you rate mystic timbers?
  6. depotrat

depotrat

AJ - we rode them all and did enjoy Adventure Express although Casey was cringing at the African Native theme. She is even more PC than me. LOL We really enjoyed Mystic Timbers although the surprise in the shed wasn't up to the hype. The coaster itself was top notch. Not as good as the Beast but very good. Probably our second favorite in the park after Beast.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. depotrat

depotrat

Day 3 Kentucky Kingdom Holiday World Beech Bend

As hard as day 2 was with tough weather, day 3 was easy. A couple of small showers in the AM but nothing that lasted or closed any rides. We were a Kentucky Kingdom at opening. Storm Chaser was the star there. It isn't better than WC but it is very impressive. The inversion at the first drop is unique and very fun! T3 has the new restraints but it is still horrific as the ride is so bumpy. Many folks rank Lightning Run very high but it was just OK for us. It is a nice park and Ed Hart has done a good job to get it open again after SF bolted.

Next up was Holiday World. We have been trying to get there for many years so it was exciting to be there. Voyage is a top 5 wood coaster in many polls and for many folks but more like top 10 for us. We enjoyed it very much and we heard they had done a lot of off season work on it this year. but it is not in the same class with ET, BD, Phoenix, or Ravine Flyer II . Legend was great for me but Casey said the hollow seat dividers hurt her a bit with so many hard turns. Raven was great too. It is an amazing wood coaster collection for a family owned park in the middle of nowhere. The park provides free parking, free drinks and free sunscreen. This place is a gem.

Last stop for the day was Beech Bend. Kentucky Rumbler is the star there. We found it very rough even in the front! I like some laterals on a wood coaster but KR had jackhammering and a couple of real tough spots that hurt a bit. Clearly it has not been maintained up to what it was when it opened some years ago.

Next up Dollywood and assorted Mountain Coasters
    • Like Like x 2
  8. depotrat

depotrat

Day 4 Dollywood and Mountain Coasters

Well the best laid plans............ Dollywood and Lightning Rod got us. As some of you know we changed around this trip to get a ride on LR and it has now been closed for 4 days. We got the other two new small coasters and rode Thunderhead some but it was really a lost day. Mid day we gave up and went to Gatlinburg and, Pigeon Forge to ride the mountain coasters. We kept checking the ap all day to see if LR opened so we could return but at 6 PM they changed it from temporarily closed to closed for the day. They knew it wasn't going to open but they try to keep folks in the park eating and drinking. It was very disappointing.

The mountain coasters were mostly just the usual. Ober Gatlinburg makes you ride the gond0la to the top of the mountain to get to the coaster. Pricey at $13.00 just for the gondola. It was a nice view. Of course we missed fitting on to the first run by 5 people and had to wait 20 mins for the next. That kind of day. Ober's mountain coaster was trash. Very bumpy and a boring course to boot. Rowdy Bear Coaster was new and smooth but certainly the shortest mountain coaster we have ever done. Goats on the Roof had the best one in the area. Even there we had to wait 65 mins for the lightning in the area to clear off. It was a tough day.

Next up Camden Park and Wisp
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2017 at 7:56 AM
  9. depotrat

depotrat

Day 5 Camden Park and Wisp

The last day was really just a long drive home with a little coaster action along the way. Our night 4 hotel was in Lexington KY so it was a Lexington to CT drive. Including coaster, food, and gas stops it took 17 hours to cover the 830 miles. Camden Park is in Huntington WV about 2 hours into our return trip. It is a very small local park in a economically depressed city so you may be able to imagine that it needed some work. They have 4 coasters. The only one interesting is the BIG DIPPER or the IG DIPPER as the sign said out front! It was built in 1958 and has the operator controlled brakes. The track recently had some work but the train needed work. That was the theme for the entire collection except the SBV spinner which was new. The Hawnted House coaster had an attendant at unload manually stopping the cars by standing in front of it and pushing back!

The next stop and last coaster for the day was a 3.5 hour ride to Wisp ski resort in Maryland. Their Ski Mountain Coaster is probably the best mountain coaster we have done. It has a great course and speed is maintained thru the entire run.

That left us with 8 hours home to finish the trip. Overall the trip was fun and we added over 40 new coasters. The big disappointment was missing Lightning Rod as we may not be back to that area for some years.
    • Like Like x 2