1. To fully experience SFNE Online, including full-resolution photos, please log in or consider joining our community!
    Dismiss Notice

Busch Gardens Tampa

Discussion in 'Worldwide Park Discussions' started by Jake, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Jake

Jake

I found an interesting article about how Busch Gardens Tampa (and the whole sea world chain) is in financial trouble because of Blackfish. Its interesting how the movie can effect almost any animal park. I think that Busch Gardens takes good care of there animals though.
    http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/local/2014/11/18/busch-gardens-facing-financial-trouble/19212321/

Im guessing that this is why nothing has been done to Gwazi yet, however they did submit plans for something in the tuts tumb area. They said that they will be renovating the gwazi park area in 2016 so maybe a new coaster will come then.
  2. mrceagle

mrceagle

They just opened the Free fall tower late last year. they do not add something every year. instead they add larger additions every few years.

The biggest problem is they dropped Bush as the company name and branded them under Sea World. There is no way to hide it when Sea World is plastered all over their press releases and web site. While it's easy to say that Black Fish is the reason for the drop and ye it i a big reason I think competition has as much if not more affect especially at Busch Gardens. Disney's Magic Kingdom and Universal Studios added areas and attractions. Lego land came to town, Fun spot expanded.

Also with the ever increasing and personally overinflated costs of admission at Florida parks it's much harder now to hit multiple attraction then it was even 5 years ago.
  3. depotrat

depotrat

^ good points. The competition is tougher in Orlando than ever before. That is why bad publicity for Sea World is such a killer. There are so many other choices that people can easily fill an Orlando vacation without having to go somewhere controversial. Even if Busch isn't easily identified with Sea World they still get hurt because a chunk of their admissions are two park joint deals with Sea World that are not selling as well as previously. Having to go up against a new Fantasyland, two parks of Harry Potter, and new and bigger Fun Spot attractions while fighting bad publicity is a real uphill sgtruggle.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Jake

Jake

To me Busch gardens is a great deal. I get a hotel package for 6 for $790 (3 days). The hotel room would cost about 330 (more in peak season), then 460 ÷6 is about 80 dollars a person for admission. And the ticket is valid for 14 days. When you consider a shuttle to the park and breakfast is included, it's cheaper than going to six flags. That's why I go. I noticed the sea world combo is a lot cheaper now but I'm not going back there again. Long lines for a not that great park in my eyes.
  5. depotrat

depotrat

We have always enjoyed Sea World. We go at opening and try to do the high traffic attractions early before the crowds build. Additionally, the animals are more lively early in the day. The Busch - SeaWorld package deal was a smoking deal the last time we went. Busch is the better of the two parks IMO with several world class coasters and some good animal attractions. InBev really has little interest in owning parks. I am surprised they haven't dumped them yet.
  6. Jake

Jake

I thought imbev sold Busch to Seaworld Entertainment
    • Like Like x 1
  7. dschu

dschu

They did
  8. depotrat

depotrat

My bad - I think it is Blackstone that owns them now.
  9. mrceagle

mrceagle

Much of the article didn't focus as much on park attendance at BGT but on the likely hood of them gettign big additions to compete with a big drop in stock price.

As for the owner. Blackstone is the primary owner. Inbev sold off Bush Ent and its parks. The company was then re-branded form Bush to Sea World. I felt then and still feel that was a dumb move.
  10. skiburkesurfjay

skiburkesurfjay

Gwazi is closing..

http://www.screamscape.com/html/busch_gardens_tampa.htm
  11. koasterkid

koasterkid

Sounds like people say it's a terrible ride but looks like it has a really cool layout. All it needs is a retrack or RMC but they will probably end up removing it.

Crazy how a 1999 GCI could be closing. Seems like they have not maintained it very well.
  12. Jake

Jake

13. mrceagle

mrceagle

The fact it's in Florida has nothing to do with it. it's a cost cutting measure. 2 coasters in 1 attraction 6-8 employees plus maintenance. Rumors are Universal will be building a wood coaster for the Jurassic Park Expansion and Disney Originally planed a wood coaster in the Dino area of Animal Kingdom. Was only dropped do to budget cuts.
  14. Jake

Jake

I know that they dropped the ball on maintenance but you have to remember Florida has bad termite problems. I don't think that Gwazi was built with termite resistant wood.
  15. mrceagle

mrceagle

I think that's a foolish excuse. Weather it was or not the ground woudl be treated for the. If a problem did come up it woudl be taken care of with fresh wood.

Termites thrive in the warm weather which would also mean we can expect the closure of the wood coaster in SC, GA, Al etc.