1. To fully experience SFNE Online, including full-resolution photos, please log in or consider joining our community!
    Dismiss Notice

Canobie Lake Park discussion

Discussion in 'New England Parks Discussion' started by mrceagle, Oct 4, 2010.

1. mrceagle

mrceagle

@sfnecoolkid , I was referring to BTP's enclosed drop the previews post s were about the ride so I didn't say BTP again.

Basically my concern is any replacement will come with a very big fight over noise.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. skiburkesurfjay

skiburkesurfjay

Yeah .There are houses that are kind of close to that area and are directly visible. I doubt they would allow a new roller coaster.
  3. ec_coasters

ec_coasters

People bought those houses knowing it is right next to an amusement park what do you expect. It's like buying a house off a highway and then complaining the cars are too loud.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. depotrat

depotrat

^You nailed it! I bought a house in Bethel CT 20 years ago. It was right next to I-84 and you could hear cars and trucks. I knew the price was lower which made it affordable for me due to the location. I wasn't there a week when the neighbors asked me to join their group demanding sound reduction walls be put in. I asked them if they knew the highway was there when they bought and of course they did but they felt the state owed them noise reduction. I declined to join and they hated me for the next 12 years until I sold.

This is more of the same. Kind of like airports too.
  5. skiburkesurfjay

skiburkesurfjay

I don't agree with them protesting new rides. I think Canobie should just go for it .they're always too cautious with their rides and making sure it's not too loud. The park has been there for longer than everyone in those houses .
    • Like Like x 1
  6. canobie#1

canobie#1

Hopefully the park can continue to buy out the surrounding properties like they have been doing. Their height restriction should be raised to atleast 100 feet. 80 ft is just ridiculous.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. mrceagle

mrceagle

An age old problem that I agree with but I don;t mind asking for changes to reduce it. like the tunnel on the drop. I actually kind of like it. though I wish the park would have put misters in the tunnel to make it seem longer and block your view a bit. i remember looking around taking photos and looking at the new fence when they expanded the parking next to kelly's Field. I saw the fence and a neighbor questioned why i was there i explained. he commented that the fence was not what he was exacting. Honestly it was not what I was expecting either.
    To be honest it is as much the city as it is the neighbors. The city demands traffic studies and noise studies. They made the park pay a company to evaluate noise impact to expand the parking lot. yes the neighbor have voiced their concerns and protested in public meeting but are not as vocal or pushy as many others I have seen. But there are places towards the center of the park they can add louder rides with less impact to the neighbors.
    Buying more houses seems to be the plan but I doubt they will be able to buy enough to give them an open door for additions. I agree fully about the height. the trees in the area are upwards 100ft and there are structure like cell towers that are much taller then 100ft. Star blasters sign is at 85 ft and has no impact on the surrounding area.
  8. CannonballLover

CannonballLover

I think the owners of these houses need to understand that a 110 year old amusement park, around for generations, was in the area first. It's aggravating to see them be so hard on the park when the park was there before the houses. I hope they can push 100 feet, it would allow a ride like Ozark Wildcat to be built... man.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. mrceagle

mrceagle

I agree completely, Though the counter to that is what expansion has gone on in the last 35 years. Go back to the the 60's and 7-'s the only think in the back of the park was a zoo, the skating rink, and the dance hall. the women's and men's houses (Restrooms) are also in that bubble all the rides were in the center of the property. The rides are ended at the Ferris wheel which didn't even exist till the 80's. It's hard to believe but the park has actually doubled it's size location wise in this time.

not that this is a great excuse
  10. Dr. Gigglez

Dr. Gigglez Administrator Forum Leader

It's crappy that the people in the town can fight against it like everybody is saying. The park was there first! I understand, for example, Legoland in NY! They are building this from scratch! Canobie should be able to do a bit more, Plus adding more attractions, that visitors want to see and ride does, in fact, add more to the community in terms of jobs, tax money, more money being spent around the park in the community with hotels, gas, food, etc. Venues that attract tourists, while adding to the traffic problems, but adds more to the community besides traffic!
  11. canobie#1

canobie#1

^ As for traffic issues, the park really doesn't suffer that much. The state just expanded both exit 2 and 3, allowing more traffic flow through town.
  12. mrceagle

mrceagle

It is. but like I said the town argues much more the the neighbors.Sure they get the occasional complainer at the town board but even if they don't show up the town go after then about it.
  13. depotrat

depotrat

The town does it because the residents bitch about it and they vote. The majority of the folks in the park do not live there and do not vote in the local election. So the folks of town government do what keeps them in office and not what is fair to the park - even though they were there first and almost every person complaining knew the park was there before they bought and even though they knew the price of their new house was depressed (and thus more affordable to them) due to the presence of the park. Never going to change.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. mrceagle

mrceagle

I get that but, what I'm pointing out is the town has brought it to a whole new level. Like I said you can have a meeting with no one there complaining and the town still goes overboard. Traffic seems to be the bigger issue but the town has done little to work with that but instead goes overboard about noise.

It's the same thing wit the height limits. The park can only build building to 45 ft but there are condo in town taller. Rides can't be built over 80 but there are structures in town nearly twice that height.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. depotrat

depotrat

There doesn't have to be anyone at the meeting bitching about noise, traffic and the look of the park. They already have bitched at them before the meeting. None of the local folks are contacting their government officials asking to give the park a fair shake. So you get what you described - overboard.