1. To fully experience SFNE Online, including full-resolution photos, please log in or consider joining our community!
    Dismiss Notice

Canobie Lake Park discussion

Discussion in 'New England Parks Discussion' started by mrceagle, Oct 4, 2010.

1. CannonballLover

CannonballLover

Just thought I'd throw this out there... it really seems Canobie has been giving the carousel an overhaul gradually the past few seasons. This is extremely fascinating and shows how applying modern technology to a classic treasure piece can ensure it's longevity for years to come. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  2. mrceagle

mrceagle

I'm so glad to see this. When the band organ stopped working and Screeemfest 2 years back had that horrible prerecorded music I was scared for the parks band organ and the atmosphere it supplies. I was so happy to see it up and running again.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. mrceagle

mrceagle

Tomorrow is opening day at Canobie Lake Park. Hours are 11-6

Along with opening day comes the opening weekend sale. at the park or online tickets can be bought for $30, $9 off the 2018 day rate. since the park dose to offer a season pass this is your best option if you plan to visit often or at lest save some money on one or 2 group trips later in the year.
  4. canobie#1

canobie#1

Did anyone go today?
  5. mrceagle

mrceagle

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  6. mrceagle

mrceagle

Some Quick notes.
    Crowds were good but light which surprised me this is the first year I have ever heard adds for opening weekend. but they are horrible about promoting on social media. Rides were running full to mostly full and there were always people lining up before the ride ended.

The water park is looking great. the main structure are in place as well as the 3 slides. It's mostly ground work and the kids plash pad left. Still hoping to have ti up and running mid Jun. They are sing the land right up to corkscrew.

Only rides down were Dragon and Timber Splash. Dragon is again having issues but will get a new control panel. Timber Splash should be open next weekend.

The shorter train like got a bit of track relocation along the run and new landscaping work. It will operate full circuit for now but may run with both stops when it gets busy

Season plans.
    The water park will operate 10:30 to 6:30. Timber Splash will also close at 8:00

New ride this year or next will be a Double Decker Kiddie Carousel. This will be the parks 4th carousel.

Extreme sports show will be back. Aerosmith will perform in the dance hall, Bruno will headline the midway stage while Hagerman's Magic show will be on the village stage. The park will bring the country fall fest back with the combined tribute to Garth brooks, Tim McGraw, and Taylor Swift.

Photos can be fund on twitter on the above links.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. dschu

dschu

Why does this park need 4 carousels?
    • Like Like x 4
  8. mrceagle

mrceagle

Well they a really don't. but i'm being literal with the term to prove a point. Autobahn is essentially a carousel. In the traditional sense with horses they have 2 this would be a 3rd. They have a Mangles Kiddie carousel and their antique carousel.

Can't prove it but I think they could be a Bartozzon Carousel which would make it more family then kiddie.
  9. AMagicProd.

AMagicProd.

I’ve seen some video and photos of the water park expansion this past week, and I’m definitely impressed. Can’t wait to see the finished product.
    As for another carousel in the park... I’m certainly not thrilled about it, but it makes sense. Last year saw the addition of Ice Jet so a ride more geared for kids is expected. If the carousel is made by Bertazzon then I think we’re in luck for something nice. They do great work although their double decker carousels have a pretty wide base, usually 40ft. Regardless if it looks anything like the picture below, I think it’ll make for a fantastic addition. Really curious to see what Canobie will do with the old train station/loop space; perfect spot for a new (flashy) thrill ride, something to compliment Frisbee!
    upload_2018-5-7_0-59-57.jpeg
    • Like Like x 1
  10. mrceagle

mrceagle

@AMagicProd. Bertazzon makes 2 Double Decker models. the 10.5/2p and the 12.5/2p-pf. The numbers refer to the base size. The 10.5 is around 36ft wide which is around what I eyeballed the markings to be.

If it the most thrilling thing in the work no. I saw the area and my mind new A kite Flyer or samba would fit and I was thrilled. yes I was a bit disappointed when I hear carousel but at least if its this version it fits adults. the photo also shows that there are more then horses.

Fun world in Nashua has the 12.5/2p model. There was also a smaller version in the Mall of NH for many years. The company has more then horses and even the horses some are jumpers and some are rockers, there are tea cups, rocking chairs, chariots, benches, and swings. so it will be a bit different then the antique carousel.
  11. DJddog5

DJddog5

I have been saying everysince it came out they should put a Skyline Horizon there.

Here's a overlay I made a few months ago. PicsArt_12-31-01.50.04 (1).jpg
    • Like Like x 3
    Last edited: May 7, 2018
  12. AMagicProd.

AMagicProd.

Couldn't agree more, although I would love to see the original model (Skywarp), it would be so cool seeing it peak over the trees from entrance plaza near the gift shop and bathrooms. I forgot the height limit the park has but Skywarp is only 60ft high, which is relatively low.
    It would be a tight fit but I believe it could work.
    Canobie1.png
    • Like Like x 1
  13. mrceagle

mrceagle

Canobie fan build to 80ft though they got permission on Star blaster to add the sign which comes in at 85ft

I think either of them could be a good addition. Though I have always hoped the original Skywarp could be a good replacement for Timberpslash. They keep saying they will keep it but they are shortening the operating hours of it this year and I think with the water park addition that the ridership will go way down.
  14. AMagicProd.

AMagicProd.

I have mixed feelings about Timber Splash, it’s an ok ride, but I believe more people will flock to the water park now.
    But apart of me doesn’t want change in that area because Timber Splash fits so well. The theming around the attraction is done quite well, and I’m afraid Canobie won’t put that much effort in an attraction again (theming wise).
  15. mrceagle

mrceagle

You mean themeing like around Untamed, Wipe out, Davinci's dream, the new water park? or put effort into making it look good like the dance hall, Trellis, Entrance, Dodgems, etc. I will admit some additions like Ice Jets are a bit simple and just tossed in but I don;t see them making a big investment without putting i the extra effort to make it look good. not to mention the mill house could stay. so could the rock work.