1. To fully experience SFNE Online, including full-resolution photos, please log in or consider joining our community!
    Dismiss Notice

Canobie Lake Park on Monday 6/20/11

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by coasterteacher, Jun 22, 2011.

1. coasterteacher

coasterteacher

I went to Canobie Lake Park for the first time on Monday. I have always wanted to visit this park, but I never wanted to take the drive and pay the money; however, when I heard about 'Untamed,' I knew it was time to go - plus Monday and Tuesday of this week were "Pay $22 instead of $32 days." The park was SO CROWDED. I really thought it would be empty or relatively empty. Lots of school buses. Every ride - even EVERY FLAT RIDE - had a HUGE LINE! I felt like the park could not handle the crowds. What is this park doing that Lake Compounce is not doing? Why can't Lake Compounce get these crowds? The park is not worth $32 admission in my opinion - perhaps admission is a bit high since parking is free? But coaster lovers should go to experience 'Untamed' - yes, it's kind of short, but the first drop is worth it.

Thoughts about 'Untamed": Unique - fun - thrilling - first drop is incredible. Lake Compounce should have built this. Six Flags New England should have built this. Maybe this will make Six Flags New England build something next year. 'Gotham City Gauntlet' should have gone to The Great Escape or Six Flags America in Maryland. 'Gotham City Gauntlet,' although different, is too much like 'Pandemonium' and does nothing for the park. Six Flags New England needs a roller coaster that will take pressure off of 'Bizarro" especially when the park first opens. An Intamin Impulse (V2 or Wicked Twister style) or a clone of 'Mr. Freeze' would certainly do that - or a ride like 'Untamed.' For anyone who has been on 'Mr. Freeze' at Six Flags Over Texas or Six Flags St. Louis, that ride is incredible, and is SO MUCH BETTER than the Chiller or Joker's Jinx - the 90 degree section is out of this world.

Thoughts about the park in general:
    Wow - lots of flat rides. In my opinion, to offset the lack of roller coasters. How did this park survive with only a small wooden coaster and a 2-looping cordscrew coaster all these years? I wish that if a park was going to have a lot of flat rides, that they were more unique. A wipeout, pirate ship, flying scooters, tilt-a-whirl, and scrambler are so common and so tame - I wish more parks had a Condor, Monster, Rainbow, or 'Buzzsaw' syle ride. I did appreciate that their Scrambler was enclosed, however, if you are going to enclose it, (and maybe you can't due to law I'm not sure) make it completely in the dark with strobe lights at times. When I went to The Great Escape over ten years ago, their Scrambler was not only fast, but COMPLETELY in the dark with strobe lights at time -altough it was just a Scrambler, it was intense and fun. The one at Lake Compounce was not that good.

The ferris wheel should be moved to in front of the lake - the Pirate Ship as well. Lake Compounce used to have their Pirate Ship near the lake - at least now it's near a man-made waterfall. In addition, I always wonder why a park has a skyride that does not bring guests to the other end of the park? The park needs a 'Blizzard River' style raft ride. Tiki Maze (walk through maze of mirrors) was different and fun. First park I've seen although than Six Flags Great Adenture (in past years) to have both a Round-Up and a Rotor ride. Train ride is nice. 'Mine of Lost Souls' should become a Sally Co. dark ride like "Ghost Hunt" at Lake Compounce.

The park

Thoughts to improve the park:
    Like this could happen - well maybe it could if a company like Cedar Fair bought the park - but if the park added more water-park style bathing suit water rides (wave pool, lazy river, slides, etc.), 2 more S&S towers to compliment the one 'Starblaster' has, a hyper coaster and an inverted impulse coaster like V2 or Wicked Twister, this park could really be put on the map!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The park was bigger than I expected, was clean, but something was missing - if only a company could keep the small-park feeling and charm, but pump some coasters and a few more thrill rides into this park, and it could compete with Six Flags New England.
  2. smm2197

smm2197

Thanks for the good TR!

IMO I like Canobie the way it is. I wouldn't want Six Flags or Cedar Fair to buy it, because right now the atmosphere is so great and I think that would change. I love it and the last time I went I appreciated it more. Thats just me though.
  3. coasterteacher

coasterteacher

I agree with you that if another "bigger" park bought it out, it would lose "that feeling." Just that their wooden coaster only has 1 train (I didn't see a 2nd train at all Monday but I could be wrong), their small looping coaster only has 1 train, and 'Untamed' only has 2 trains that fit 8 people each! I really hope SFNE gets a new roller coaster next year - the park cannot stand on 'Bizarro' for many more years - we need a new signature ride or at least a ride to compete and spread out the AM stampede - ahhahahahaaaaa. Anyone else still miss the original 'Superman' without the sound system, etc. 'S: ROS' was perfect! Like I say to my mother about her wonderful cooking: Mom, don't change perfection.
  4. mrceagle

mrceagle

First I would like to thanks you for posting your report of the day. i always enjoy reading others opinions of parks especially parks that are so important to me.

The park often offers reduced prices pre and post season when some attractions like Castaway Island Water park. $32 is a little high but still a bigger value then SFNE and LC. especially if you are not looking to spend a day at a water park. Canobie has more dry park attraction then SFNE. Teh price was increased $2 from last year but senior and Child admission was kept at $23 dollars. Though if you dislike the $32 do what I do at LC, wait till halloween and get in cheaper and you also get the haunts.

The park has a capacity of 15,000 guests. and they have on occasion gone over that. SO if lines were as busy as you say they were around that.

How did the park survive, not everyone is comfortable with coasters also from the 1970's till 2005 the park has a medium sized steel family coaster(galaxy). Also Canobie puts a much larger emphasis on live shows and in park entertainment then most other parks.

Some of the rides you call basic have been operation at the park for years. Flying scooters and the tilt have been at the par for more then 50 years, the Pirata and Scrambler have been there for more then 30. The park has for the most park tried to expand not just replace. Phycodrom(scrambler) used to operate with Strobes in the dark and completely misted. later they added party lights. but after a number of high profile death on inclosed scramblers they had to change the operating procedures. The Ferris wheel will not get relocated especially since it now has a lED lighting system. It's also located in the front of the park because that is the tallest point of the park at that time. You will also not see any thrill rides moved to the lake front. The pirate operates with that plastic wall and Tea party with a tube because of whiny neighbors. I don;t think you will see the Sally rehabed Mine of lost souls switched to interactive. besides if they wan t an interactive Darker ride why not install a second dark ride.

Canobie was goign to get a Rapids ride like Blizzard Rivers. actually larger the Blizzar river. but just before they were going to announce it the raft flipped on Blizzard River nearly killing 8 and it was not a smart move. plans were moved on on the Boston are and Boston tea party.

Condor, Monster, Rainbow - these rides are not made any more. I admit they are great but Canobie has enough rides ta they have to get parks made for without adding to that list.

This is when research would have saved you. No mater who owned them they could not get any of those rides. Canobie has only a 80 ft height limit. It took months of arguing just to add a 5ft sign to the top of Star Blaster. I assume your talking about turning star blast into a try tower but there is not much room for that. besides why not invest the money somewhere else.

As for the water park they have no plans to expand from the play structure( which is the largest in the North East) to a full water park. They can't install a wave pool because of the water lever. the wave mechanism also exceeds the allotted decibel levels permitted by the city. At most they could add a river an d a couple slides towers. Nothing big! Not to mention It is illegal to swim in the lake.

Corporate ownership can be the worse thing for a park. Look at the price increases seen at LC. The prices have sky rocketed on everything at Story land under Corporate ownership. It would change a lot of the feel of the park. Like I pointed out earlier Height and noise levels are a huge issue which makes many rides not an option. I have talked to the owners about adding more thrill rides suggested rides like the polyp and Sky hawk(similar to SFNE's removed Time warp)
  5. coasterteacher

coasterteacher

"mrceagle," thank you for all your knowledge - wow! Interesting information about the noise issues/whiny neighbors, 80 foot height limit (definitely limits!!!!!), non-swimmable lake, and water level. Given all that information, I would love to see the park add some more water slides, some more thrilling flats (perhaps 1 or 2 that invert), and maybe a mouse-style family coaster, even though SFNE already has 2 - imagine if Canobie got the 'Green Lantern' style one that SFMagic Mountain is getting this year! I wonder which park, LC, Canobie, or SFNE, will be the first park in New England to get a launched or LIM or impulse coaster??? If Lake Compounce got a VD or Wicked Twister impulse coaster, I would get a season pass - sorry, I really like that ride!

Simply stated, Canobie Lake is an underrated gem of a park!
  6. mrceagle

mrceagle

Ya things are not simple at canobie. The lake is public drinking water and the law was passed in 1903. so canobie guests were only allowed to swim for one season. they had pools after that.

i agree they need a couple more thrill rides. not sure what rides you got on but Wipe out is operated to it's full potential unlike SFNE and LC's models. on occasion they will operate both directions. Frisbee, Roter (33rps 5g's, fastest you will find), Scrambler is operated fast. Like I mention ed I talked to them about thrill rides and adding at least one invertign ride. though a couple of the owners really have a thing for the chance inverter.

Canobie will never get a mouse. I asked them before SFNE had one and even before Funtown, a park 2 hours North east of canobie got one. You would be more likely to see something like a roller skater.

I wouldn't mind seeing a few more slides I also talked to them about adding a kiddie poll to pull small guests away form the castaway structure.
  7. coasterteacher

coasterteacher

Due to the extremely high crowds and therefore long lines, I only went on 'Untamed' (I got there right - when the park opened and got on the coaster quickly - looking back, I should have ridden it again at that moment, but I didn't think the park would be that busy and when I got off the line was already really long - I should have then went to the wooden I was on the train at around 11:15, I realized "wow there are a lot of people here and every line has a massive line."

I dislike the Chance Inverter - do you know what happened to the chaos, double trouble, time warp, and nightwing rides at SFNE? Have you seen a video of the inverting "plane" ride at the renovated Coney Island - that ride looks amazing!

Kiddie pool is great idea, like Koala Canyon at SFGAdventure.

I was looking at SFGAmerica's website earlier today. That park has a great combination or thrill roller coasters,family roller coasters, thrill rides (inverting and non-inverting), family rides, and a water park. What happened to SFGadventure?
  8. mrceagle

mrceagle

The SFNE rides were removed to streamline costs.

I like the inverter myself but understand many dislike it and I did express that dislike to the owners when they asked me. Cannonball even with a full queue is an hour. most ques for flats are 20-30 minutes worth with larger rides like Frisbee having a hour. Mine, Flume, Boston tea party all have hour queues they are good about loading and unloading quickly so lines move quickly. so you likely could have hit a lot if taken the chance.
  9. Mr Scary

Mr Scary

strictly my opinion guys, so dont jump on me:

I think this coaster is great for Canobie as it adds a thrill factor. Along with this thrill comes new technology and I think the technology is what stripped the atmosphere at Six Flags NE. I think what makes Canobie succesful is that they have found their niche in the amusement park world for a nostalgic family park with offerings of old school rides and atmosphere. A thrill here or there is a good thing, but sometimes too much is too much and I hope that never happens to Canobie. I appreciate the transformation from old school Riverside Park to modern Six Flags and personally I crave psycho thrill rides because they give you that thought in your head where for a split second you actually think you may die. Its a rush.

But on the flip side, part of me almost wishes they left more old school nostalgia in the park. Canobie has that. Its a feeling that I remember as a kid going to Riverside. Its the very reason many adults still love Magic Kingdom- sure there is new technology, but there is a staple of attractions such as Small World, Dumbo, Splash Mountain, and Hanuted Mansion that all received updates but not enough new technology to ruin the nostalgia. For SFNE, its too late, Canobie hopefully never goes that route.
  10. mrceagle

mrceagle

Canobie will never go that rout. They plan to keep the older rides. they feel people will come for a tilt or a scrambler. They are just adding new attraction to keep people coming. but it untamed really all that new. the technology really isn't any different then corkscrew.

Funny that you mentioned Splash mountain since it'd one of Disneys newer attractions.

coasterteacher - in one of your posts you wondered how it survived. it sounds like you never got on cannonball. ride it an you will find out.
  11. smm2197

smm2197

It does have magnetic brakes so I guess you could call that fairly new.
  12. Mr Scary

Mr Scary

I mentioned Splash (1992) because though its one of their "newer" attractions- the soundtrack, story, and characters are somewhat of a throwback from an older generation. Though the ride is semi modern, they dont rely on some of todays newer digital effects- they still have characters who perform the same clumsy, repetitious movements- compaared to other Disney attractions- this one has more of a nostalgic feel to it. Mrc from your perspective it may have sounded like a bad example, but I hope I explained where I was coming from ;)
  13. coasterteacher

coasterteacher

I miss the old boat ride at SFNE when it was Riveside (where Shipwreck Falls is now). It was slow, there was no drop at all, but it was a fun, family-attraction that I always looked forward to growing up. I miss Riverside's old log flume - it just looked so good there in the Southend. Although I would never go on it (I'm afriad of heights - I love roller coasters because I know I'll come down, but a ferris wheel never) I miss Colossus Ferris Wheel. I miss Swiss Bob, Spider, & Tri-Star. Don't get me wrong, I love the modern thrills that Six Flags have brought to the park, but a park like SFGAmerica or SFSaintLouis seem to have been able to keep both.
  14. BizarroAj

BizarroAj Administrator

^ You are talking about the Jungle river boat ride! It was one of my favorite rides too. I cant wait to go to Canobie next month. :D
  15. Mr Scary

Mr Scary

I loved all those attractions as well. I have to make it a point to get to Canobie. At least to meet Mrceagle LOL