1. To fully experience SFNE Online, including full-resolution photos, please log in or consider joining our community!
    Dismiss Notice

Funtown Splashtown U.S.A

Discussion in 'New England Parks Discussion' started by canobie#1, Nov 28, 2011.

1. canobie#1

canobie#1

What food place was that at? I’ve never been turned down water at a park yet haha
  2. mrceagle

mrceagle

That was a hit and miss issue back them. There were a lot of complaints and the policy was changed. they do have few places that don't have a water tab on the soda machines and they can;t give out unfiltered water.

Back to Funtown. The only news so far is They are adding an on-ride photo to the antique car ride and adding a season long photo pass. Nothing that will make me go back.
  3. dschu

dschu

Even something like an Air Race or Endeavor could do wonders for this park. They need something other than Dragon and Exaliber to draw in teens.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. DJddog5

DJddog5

Agreed I have always thought a SBF Midi Dance Party 360 (Pendulum) would be perfect and with PP trying to go for more of a family approach FTST should go more thrill.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  5. mrceagle

mrceagle

All good suggestions. They just need something fresh. Sure a thrill ride would be good for the teens and make them more competitive with palace which has a great thrill ride selection. but I think a couple family rides would at least set them in the right direction.

I'm also a fan of the Balloon Race.

I thought the SBF Dance party was OK at Quassy. I liked the Zamperla model better at TGE. easier to get into and runs smoother.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. dschu

dschu

I think the best choice for a pendulum would be a Zamperla Discovery Revolution, the smaller version like at Luna Park. It’s like Extreme Supernova at TGE, but it inverts riders.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. mrceagle

mrceagle

Supernova had great forces and The inverting was a unique sensation on Frantic. I would imaging they could work with Zamperla to introduce 4-5 rides over the next 4-5 years and really up the parks draw.
  8. depotrat

depotrat

We are far from Maine experts, but I just looked back at our trips there. 2004, 2006, 2012. Funtown was 2004 and 2012. That was a eight year gap and very little change tells you why an eight year gap. Last times to Palace was 2004 & 2006. We will be there this summer to ride the two new coasters. Looking forward to that. Only time to York was 2012. I remember York as kind of a permanent carnival. We were tight on time and didn't do the zoo but we did walk the midway. It wasn't packed but I remember it being kind of busy for a weekday. I would think something new every few years could also increase their business. Granted, Maine is a long trip for us and if we go it is during our Hampton Beach vacation, but lack of change and new attractions has diminished our trips there for sure. We can't be the only ones operating like that.
  9. mrceagle

mrceagle

Bonus for me is from Southern NH basically every park is within 3 hours. York's has had a good crowed every tiem I have been there. For me My trips are a bit of a throwback to Benson's Animal Farm in Hudson NH. it's smaller then Benson's but the Zoo ride combo and small town atmosphere is the same. york's had a lot of kiddie attractions Which might be one of the reasons they are busy but a reason I don't visit much and a reason we don't visit much with my niece who is now too tall for many of the attractions. They also need to work on improving the park. The dark walk-through is a joke and why 2 fun houses? the glass maze is nothing special as well.

Funtown wasn't very busy and many were in the water park. but a number of them seemed to stay after the water park. But my brother and I got there somewhat late hit everything, walked the water park, and then still have time to hit doubles on a number of rides. Basically we ended up going a half day with the weekend closing at I think 8.
  10. Dr. Gigglez

Dr. Gigglez Administrator Forum Leader

It’s a shame the parks in Maine don’t add much stuff ! They have potential to have well rounded parks !
  11. mrceagle

mrceagle

They do. They can use the argument about being driven by tourism as an excuse but even then. the white mountains parks have done so much over the last 10 years. They are also very tourist driven and only pull in a few hundred thousands guest a year. Santa's Village, Sotryland and Whales tale have done a lot. Clarks not so much but still managed to add a used water coaster form Six Gun and swapped out there walkthrough for a shooting gallery. Clark's also has much more expenses then Funtown and palace. Yorks has some excuse animals are costly to keep up and I'd imagine they have the least attendance of the 3. Aquaboggan has also done little to nothing and has changed owners a few times in the last decade.
  12. canobie#1

canobie#1

Okay but to be fair Palace has done a good amount in the last ten years.
    We saw a new swing ride in replacement of the old yoyo, a brand new Ferris wheel, arcade improvements and two new rollercoasters for this year!

Fun town I think is gonna start to feel some pressure this coming season.
  13. Dr. Gigglez

Clark’s has a water coaster ?
  14. mrceagle

mrceagle

Clark's has the water coaster that used to operate at Six Gun City it's a simple tub style same as Quassy.
  15. Dr. Gigglez

Oh yeah , I considered that a water slide lol I was there they year they opened it at Clarks. I didn't ride it, but one of my kids did