1. To fully experience SFNE Online, including full-resolution photos, please log in or consider joining our community!
    Dismiss Notice

Great Escape 2019- Hurricane Harbor & More

Discussion in 'Great Escape Chatter' started by Phillie26, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Phillie26

Phillie26

Looks like Splashwater Kingdom is growing up and turning into Hurricane Harbor for next year! From the site:

The Great Escape is going bigger, better, and wetter with a complete outdoor waterpark transformation into Hurricane Harbor! This expansion features two brand new rides and attractions, newly themed renovations and a waterpark experience that will immerse guests in a true tropical paradise. With non-stop soaking wet thrills, the all-new Hurricane Harbor will be the perfect place to escape the summer heat.

Hurricane Harbor

Our outdoor waterpark is getting a complete transformation into a tropical paradise, nestled right in the heart of the Adirondacks, along with a huge expansion.

Bucket Blasters
    Bucket Blasters is an interactive ride where riders will spin around in water barrels equipped with water guns perfect for a splashing battle with friends, family and bystanders

Shipwreck Cove
    Shipwreck Cove is a fun activity pool with interactive water sprays, geysers, and fountains for hours of water play entertainment.

Relaxation Station
    Alongside our new attractions, we're adding plenty of shaded seating, making Hurricane Harbor the best place to escape the summer heat.

New Dining Location
    We're even adding a new dining location with an exciting new menu, full of amazing tropical treats
    • Like Like x 1
  2. MetsFan

MetsFan Forum Leader

Don’t quote me on this but I believe this new expansion will take over Kidzopolis and that area will close for good

But overall, I can’t complain! Anything to make the water park better!!
  3. mrceagle

mrceagle

If that ends up being the case that pretty bad. 3 dry rides out for a small water park expansion that only adds one notable addition.

To be honest they could likely fit all of this in the area where Pirate ship used to be and maybe even the go carts. I wouldn't be surprised if the new eatery was just the one by comet with a fence around it.

I think this is something good for them but don;t really think they needed the name change.
  4. tge98

tge98

Not sure I really like the Hurricane Harbor name, if it means the entire water park is getting a face lift I'll take it tho.
  5. Mwbugsy

Mwbugsy

I wonder if Black Cobra will be removed for this expansion? It’s rarely open and showing it’s age.
  6. MetsFan

MetsFan Forum Leader

I think 1 or 2 more slides really would have made this addition better but for the most part I’m happy. More to do in the water park is good.

I hope they actually do some refurbishments to other parts of the water park too. The wave pool needs a desparate repaint, the Kindom Cascade and Black Cobra slides need a repaint (and if they’re not doing any painting PLEASE just power wash them and get the dirt off), the Lazy River could use some landscaping and love, etc.

It’s going to be super weird seeing Hurricane Harbor plastered on things now- especially since the Splashwater Kingdom name has been in the parks name since the waterpark opened in the 90’s
    --- Double Post Merged ---
    I don't really see them removing the Go Karts, that are a paid attraction that likely owes them nothing at this point. A lot easier and more cost effective to take out 3 kids rides that nobody rides to begin with and can be easily relocated elsewhere in the park if they wanted.
  7. canobie#1

canobie#1

Well hopefully now they’ll actually open more than half their slides with this expansion?

Black cobra and that kingdom slide complex next to it are literally never open when I go which is frustrating cause they’re the best slides in the park.
  8. MetsFan

MetsFan Forum Leader

Yeah I don't really get their thinking on Black Cobra and the Kingdom slides. The only time Black Cobra was open for me this season was Memorial Day weekend when it opened randomly at like 3pm and didn't even stay open until 6 when the waterpark closed, and it hasn't been open on any of my other trips. I took 4 or 5 waterpark trips this summer and Kingdom Cascades was pretty sporadic- a few of the days it opened and closed at random times, or if it was open they'd only be running 1 or 2 of the slides which made for long lines. So yeah I get your frustration. I hope they correct the issues with those 2 complexes.
    --- Double Post Merged ---
    Also just to add on to what I said above, the trap door Cliffhanger slide on Alpine Freefalls has only been open 1 time that I've gone this season. I'm guessing it's another slide they just don't feel like staffing.
  9. CanobieCoaster

CanobieCoaster

I have issues with things open on the dry side, but I usually have good luck with the water park. Last time everything was open except Banshee Plunge (a shame since that's one of their best slides).

These AquaTwists are fun, but they're way too soaking for my tastes on the ride side. I really like how it's going to the water park.
  10. MetsFan

MetsFan Forum Leader

I’m curious if Bucket Blasters will be this model they show in the video:

[​IMG]

Or the models that the other SF parks got:

[​IMG]
  11. DJddog5

DJddog5

Probably the smaller one given the last one they built was the small one at SFOG.
  12. MetsFan

MetsFan Forum Leader

Hmmm, interesting. Thanks!

I wish we had some concept art...
  13. canobie#1

canobie#1

I hope they don’t retheme the lower half of the water park. I think the woods/mountain theme for their water park is much better than a typical hurricane harbor.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. MetsFan

MetsFan Forum Leader

The real question is do we think they will actually try and do a retheme and try to improve the asthetics of the place or will they just slap some “Hurricane Harbor” signs over the SWK ones and call it a day?
  15. Phillie26

Phillie26

I'm betting on the latter but I hope I am wrong.