1. To fully experience SFNE Online, including full-resolution photos, please log in or consider joining our community!
    Dismiss Notice

Great Escape Discussion

Discussion in 'Great Escape Chatter' started by SFNEsros, Jan 26, 2011.

1. MetsFan

MetsFan Forum Leader

One of the biggest complaints with Great Escape that I hear from people I know, that I read all over the internet, or see on FB, etc. is that the park’s rides are just so terrible looking. Rusting metal, rides that haven’t been painted in 20 years, peeling paint all over, and so on.

I get it’s a lot of money to paint coasters and rides, but park appearance is key and I’d really like to see them focus on that in the years to come. Bobsled needs to be desparately painted, Blizzard’s dome which was painted in 2013 already has the old bright yellow/green colors coming through, Canyon Blaster’s paint is gone, Sky Ride’s queue line was poorly painted this year and the 40+ years of different colored paints are showing through already, the slides in SWK (the 2 Black Cobra slides, and the 3 slides in the complex next to BC) have disgusting grime and moldly-looking stuff all over them that a simply power wash could fix....

The point is people aren’t paying $60 a person to see rusted rides with paint literally falling onto the midway (yes, Bobsled, I’m talking about you). I get it’s not an overnight project but some of this stuff should have been done years ago. And at least to me, it makes me think they really don’t care about appearance. On the plus side, their recent additions are vibrant and nice looking so they are a plus.

I get that was a rant, but in an age of evolution with many parks, GE just falls behind and don’t get me wrong, I love the park, and I think it’s fun and naturally beautiful, but for someone who visits Legoland, then GE, there will be no comparison as to which is better.
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Lifthill

Lifthill

Rant on. A kept up appearance says a lot about the culture of a park. If the owners are caring enough to make sure things look proper esthetically, it wouldn’t be too far a stretch to have confidence that the rides and facilities are clean and safe as well. Conversely, if a park looks like a debilitated rat hole, then they can expect rodents as their guests.

Of course upkeep costs a lot. But in the years when parks aren’t offering any major new additions (probably too often), they can step back and turn them into maintenance years and spruce up their property. I know that in my home state of Connecticut, Lake Compounce did just that this past season and amongst other improvements, finally got around to rebuilding and completely repainting their wooden WildCat roller coaster to the point that it now looks brand new. Yep, cost a few bucks. Now if they could just get it running.
  3. mrceagle

mrceagle

So very true. Run down rids may be mechanically safe but they appear to be unsafe. A person trying to figure out were to spend their money is more likely to to choose an attraction that is kept up and to justify the expenses when there. That's a big reason Disney and Universal can get away with charging what they do.
  4. MetsFan

MetsFan Forum Leader

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
  5. tge98

tge98

On the bright side Condor is right on the event page so at least it won't be getting removed this offseason!!
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. MetsFan

MetsFan Forum Leader

Hopefully Pandemonium will be done by Memorial Day Weekend.
  7. mrceagle

mrceagle

Happy to hear about Condor. It was one of he many rides closed when I visited this year.
  8. MetsFan

MetsFan Forum Leader

The park has done a nice job keeping it running. Especially after those couple years where it barely ran.