1. To fully experience SFNE Online, including full-resolution photos, please log in or consider joining our community!
    Dismiss Notice

Holiday In The Park

Discussion in 'SFNE Discussion' started by sfnecoolkid, Mar 29, 2017.

1. mrceagle

mrceagle

With most of north end Closed it would be nice to have more space opened to hold guests so the water park is a good a place as any.
  2. coasterbill

coasterbill

Honestly if the park is in need of space to hold more guests then they'll just expand to more rides and areas next year. In reality, Holiday in the Park generally draws much smaller crowds than a typical operating day and in order for them to make it successful they need to adjust staffing and expenses accordingly. If you're going in expecting the park to be in need of extra space for the crowds they'll be generating that may not be a reasonable expectation for the event.

What we've seen at other parks is that they start out very conservatively and if crowds dictate they slowly expand incrementally over time, adding more staffing and expenses along the way.

At St. Louis we've also seen them playing around with the ride lineup a little bit, adding the Boomerang, Sky Screamer and Mine Train if crowd levels dictated it. I'm sure this is just them testing the waters for next year. I wouldn't be at all surprised if SFNE offered a few bonus rides like Pandemonium on a few select days with nice weather and higher crowd levels just to test the waters and then next year they might expand a little. They play these events very conservatively at the start and I think that's the right approach.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. BizarroAj

BizarroAj Administrator

I know some people were upset that they removed the big planters with trees going down main st but they had to do it to remove all the brick and put down blacktop all in prep for hitp. I was looking at it yesterday and it definitely opened up the walkway a lot more. I can't wait to see what they have planned for this as far as decorating. Sfne has a lot more buildings close together than gradv. Just think how crack axle canyon is going to look all lit up with snow on the roofs. The big difference between lake compounce and sfne xmas events is sfne will have big coasters open which will be a big draw.
  4. depotrat

depotrat

We drove all the way to Jackson twice for HITP and now it will be right here! I can see us going for a bit several times. Coasters in December!!!
    • Like Like x 2
  5. mrceagle

mrceagle

This is the first I have heard about main street and I will admit I'm a bit disappointed. SFNE has always been light on themeing and now they are taking out some of the nicer details to support an event that may or may not be a success.

We'll have to see if LC makes any changes to compete. Perhaps we will see Thunderbolt operate as a result.
  6. xsarabella

xsarabella

The planters and trees on Main Street being removed is sad and it looks very weird.

I also do not like how it's not in a straight line, the first one closest to the carrousel is more off centered. I'm sure the planter was too but it wasn't noticeable because it was so big. The walkway just looks so boring and plain now.

This picture doesn't really show that it's off centered but when you see it in person I'm sure it will be obvious. (Or maybe it's just my OCD?)

IMG_0991.JPG
  7. mrceagle

mrceagle

Wow that's worse then I thought they couldn't even install granite or food borders to the flower beds they just built up the blacktop. but when going back and forth about reason not to have HITP the walkways were one of them so I can;t say I'm surprised.
  8. Sluggo77

Sluggo77

How about we actually get happy about HITP???? Let's put the perceived lose for the gain in perspective please!
    • Like Like x 2
  9. depotrat

depotrat

^yep - take out some trees in planters vs. open an extra month? Seems like a no brainer to me. Good-bye trees!
    • Like Like x 4
  10. xsarabella

xsarabella

I bet by the middle of the summer we won't even notice the difference anymore.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. sfnecoolkid

sfnecoolkid

Tbh I did not even notice it when I went opening weekend. It's not that big of a deal, and it ultimately will work better for HITP. The ends justify the means.
  12. mrceagle

mrceagle

Except the idea of walking down main street with those trees all light up was appealing. It's the first thing I thought about when it was announced.
    Sure they could likely set up smaller fake Christmas trees but it's not the same.
  13. depotrat

depotrat

I am so oblivious, I didn't even notice it on opening day until somebody told me while I was waiting for early entry and I had just walked thru!! LOL
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Chase Hathorne

Chase Hathorne

I was just wondering this but does anyone know if Intamin has a set of wheels like B&M makes for Nitro that would allow Superman to run in really cold temps? It would be cool to see in years down the line (not this year obviously) to see Superman running during holiday in the park.
  15. dschu

dschu

I don't know if they do, but it wouldn't be worth it. It'd be such a hazard to have people walk down there, and expensive to staff it. I could potentially see more North End added, but never DC.
    • Like Like x 2