1. To fully experience SFNE Online, including full-resolution photos, please log in or consider joining our community!
    Dismiss Notice

Never Ending Pointless Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Dr. Gigglez, Oct 3, 2010.

1. depotrat

depotrat

If you go to the back of the park at opening and you can do multiple rides on Lightning Racer with no line. Wait for the front on Storm Runner, it is worth the extra time. If you ride Wildcat - I'd do the front to avoid chiropractor bills later. LOL Great Bear is a fun invert. Some folks like Skyrush. We found the restraints painful but if you are going to ride it, first thing or last thing are best as it is near the front of the park and can get quite a line. Laff Trakk is good to cool off in the AC. Chocolate World opens an hour before the park so if you are early to the area that can be a fun place. The zoo is worth an hour of walk thru if you like animals. We have never done the waterpark so no help there.
  2. ec_coasters

ec_coasters

Skyrush was down half the day but thank god it opened because it's amazing
  3. SFNEsros

SFNEsros Forum Leader

Just booked my hotel for Coastermania next year! Don't wanna risk not having a room with the new coaster going in
    • Like Like x 1
  4. koasterkid

koasterkid

• Like Like x 2
  5. nitro1118

nitro1118

So with my girlfriend taking a trip for a few days with some friends in Ocean City (NJ), I was thinking about making a day trip to a relatively nearby park. I have narrowed things down to Hershey (~3hrs away), SFA (~3.5hrs) or KD (~4.5hrs).

I have visited Hershey on 4 different trips, including last season, so I am not in much of a rush to get back. I almost went to SFA on my way back from BGW 12 years ago, but my mom got in a car crash near DC so we never made it. However, SFA has always felt like an add-on park to a bigger trip, so I am not sure I want to make a 7hr round-trip drive for a lower tier experience. Lastly, I visited KD back in 2005, but of course they have added Dominator (which I loved at GL) and I305. KD is like right inbetween Hershey and SFA in terms of quality, but it is just far enough to make me question whether I can get it done without spending $ on a hotel. I would have to leave home around 6am to get there around opening, and leave by 5 to get home by 10. That is a very long, but possible day.

Thoughts?
  6. depotrat

depotrat

Of those three, I would choose KD every time. We were there for the first time in years last fall. We had a good day. We focused on I-305 and Dominator but rode others too. The only bad thing was Volcano was closed for the entire day. We were there at opening and were ready to leave by dinner, so I could see your plan working.

Your assessment of SFA is right on. We have never gone there and not been to other parks the same day. It is a 4-5 hour park even on the first visit when we were hitting all the coasters, unless lines kill you. Now when we go there our plan is to ride Wild One, SROS and anything new. Last year we hit it on the way home from KD (the day before). We were there at opening and were in and out in 1.5 hours and then had time to stop at SFGADV for a few rides before heading the rest of the way home.
  7. nitro1118

nitro1118

Thanks for the advice! I noticed the Days Inn, which is basically on property, is only $60 for the night I would consider staying over. I'll mull it over but I think I am set on this trip.
  8. depotrat

depotrat

We stayed at the Best Western which is now called the Cornerstone Inn at Doswell. You just walk accross the parking lot to get to the park! It was so convenient. I don't know the rates now but it was cheap last fall and then you save on KD parking too!
  9. DylanBIZARRO

DylanBIZARRO Forum Leader

Currently at great escape and power has been lost with thunderstorms.

IMG_7579.JPG
    --- Double Post Merged ---
    I just left the park. There was branches and trash everywhere. I'll post more later, but it was hectic.
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  10. CannonballLover

CannonballLover

Wow SFNE has a terrible rain policy. They closed the rides 1 hour before the storm hit... seems kind of ridiculous.

We used our return ticket and unfortunately I was with impatient people. They closed the rides when it was sunny saying there was "thunderstorms" that hit an hour later. Funny because I was there a few weeks ago that thunderstorms were actually predicted and they didn't shut anything down until the actual thunder hit.

My friends didn't want to wait and we left after a ride on Houdini and GCG. Awful awful day at the park, I'm devastated. Is their rain policy usually this inconsistent?
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  11. tge98

tge98

I've always thought rain policies were inconsistent until I started working at a park. They are actually very rigid, and have to do with lightning strikes within a radius of the park.
  12. Chase Hathorne

Chase Hathorne

If there's lightning in the area they always close rides down. They never close rides for just rain, I've ridden STR numerous times this year in the middle of downpours.
  13. WiCy#1

WiCy#1 Administrator

This. Once you start working in a park, you realize that the rain policies are actually very consistent. It can be bright and sunny at the park, but if there’s lightning in a certain radius, the rides will close. It can be like that for a while depending on how the storm is moving.
  14. depotrat

depotrat

Last month waited over an hour at Goats on the Roof in TN in the brilliant sunshine because their radar program showed lightning strikes within 10 miles of their property. It was moving away but very slowly. Better safe. We had a very similar situation a Kings Island on the same trip. It wasn't raining but they had lightning close by so it was wait.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. koasterkid

koasterkid

Crazy awesome day today, went to the event at Rye Playland this morning and went on some new coasters. Went to LC later on and got some insane night rides on BD. This ride is the place to be at night. I'll have a cool update probably tomorrow too. :D
    IMG_7225.JPG
    • Like Like x 3