1. To fully experience SFNE Online, including full-resolution photos, please log in or consider joining our community!
    Dismiss Notice

Sfne 2016

Discussion in 'SFNE Discussion' started by DylanBIZARRO, Jan 6, 2017.

?

Did you like the 2016 season?

1. Yes

76.5%
  2. No

23.5%
  1. DylanBIZARRO

DylanBIZARRO Forum Leader

Hello everybody,

I've been kinda busy so I haven't been able to be on the site that much, but I thought I'd post something showcasing the year of 2016 for SFNE, and some of the photos I got of the park, and my review on the new things in the park, and the new "rollercoaster" aka flat ride, Fireball!

[​IMG]
    This is Superman on the first day of operations. The paints looks so nice! They definitely did a great job painting it!

[​IMG]
    Speaking of paint, the paint on the station on opening day was still wet and got on my friends hands! :eek:

[​IMG]
    And of course, one train! :mad: I remember first seeing the redone trains and being so amazed by it! It would have been more amazing with T-bars!

[​IMG]
    I'm not the biggest fan of this section. I feel like it's a little bit too empty, but at lease they kept the TV there I guess. I think it would've been cool to see something similar like they had when it was Bizarro but Superman themed, or something new altogether.

[​IMG]
    One of the many "SUPERMAN DEFEATS BIZARRO" signs. I love the lighting on the signs at night.

[​IMG]
    I really like the way they setup the test seats here. And I also love the color LED's.

Overall, I feel like opening day was a success. This was probably the most exciting opening day in a while since my favorite and probably a lot of other peoples favorite ride was getting a change. I can also remember having to wear gloves because it was so cold! Anyways, now onto some random photos I took during the spring.

[​IMG]
    Splash water falls. I wish I could've at least ridden it before it got taken down, but none of my friends wanted to ride it!

[​IMG]
    I'm really hoping this is what the station looks like on April 8th.

[​IMG]
    This is SFNE at like 7am way before it opened. We went early and had breakfast at the local diner. I got to see them inspecting NESS.

[​IMG]
    Superman at night.

[​IMG]
    Fireball with the lights on before it was even open.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Some pictures of when they had a replica of the Delorean from Back to The Future at the park. It was awesome and really accurate. Definitely worth a visit to the park since BTTF is one of my favorite movie series.

[​IMG]
    I'm just not gonna say anything....

Now, onto some drone pictures. I feel really bad for only taking the amount that I did. I was just really busy this year, and when I could fly my drone at the park, the weather was not at my side. I overall only got to fly it very few times during the on season, and I'm really sorry for that. This year I am definitely gonna be taking much more pictures of the park, maybe even getting permission to take photos with the drone inside the park. I am gonna be getting more drone equipment this year, so I'm definitely excited to take some more photos of SFNE. If the weather is on my side, then maybe even some on opening day. You also have to be careful flying a drone near SFNE since first, your not allowed to fly inside the park, and also, there are helicopters that fly near the park so you always have to be careful with that. Also expect some off season drone pictures soon. Anyways, here is some of the few drone photos I did get.

[​IMG]
    This is what SFNE looks like from a local park down the road.

[​IMG]
    In this picture you can see Hurricane Harbor really well.

[​IMG]
    A cool picture showing WiCy and NESS, and if you zoom in you can even see STR going down the hill!

[​IMG]
    Sadly, Goliath did not have the best year since it broke down for part of the summer, but very good that it was open on opening day.

Overall, I didn't go to SFNE that much during the summer because I was busy doing other things, and because of VR on Superman and because it was so busy throughout the park, but besides VR, I think the summer was OK. Choice of seats on WiCy was awesome when it was there. Hopefully it's there on April 8th and becomes a standard. Same thing with STR, which is sad that I even have to say that.

[​IMG]
    Here is some shots of Superman I took with my good camera.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. DylanBIZARRO

[​IMG]
    The Green beast, Goliath.

[​IMG]
    The NESS and WiCy signs.

Now onto some Fright fest pictures!

[​IMG]
    I thought the theming was good this year. The monsters I thought were much better, since I felt there was more of them.

[​IMG]
    Superman again, next to Mind Eraser.

[​IMG]
    One of the animatronic things they have in the park.

[​IMG]
    A cool shot of Batman from the station. I really like the new camera I got since I don't have to buy a locker for it every time I bring it since it fits securely in my sweater pocket, although in the summer I'm gonna have to buy one since you don't wear sweaters in the summer, unless its a very cold summer.

[​IMG]
    Another shot from Batmans station.

[​IMG]
    Night shot of Fireball.

[​IMG]
    The car that sits in front of Fireball. I think adding the two cars was a nice touch to the theming.

[​IMG]
    Night shot of Superman with one of the lights on the lift hill being out. Hopefully that will be fixed this season.

[​IMG]
    More theming from Frightfest.

[​IMG]
    A cool photo showing NESS at night.

[​IMG]
    Superman during Fright Fest.

[​IMG]
    Mind Eraser.

[​IMG]
    I always love the theming on bumper cars during fright fest. Nice job SFNE.

So that is some of my photos from SFNE during the 2016 season. If I posted all my photos, then this would go on too long. I literally took about 1,000 photos of SFNE. I don't know why so much, I guess its just because I like taking pictures haha. Now I'm just gonna give my ratings for the season.

Superman: The Ride (DURING SPRING, NO VR)

For 2016 season SFNE changed Bizarro back to a Superman themed coaster. They revamped the trains, painting them, and adding different headrests. The headrests are much better than the big ones on Bizarro, and while none may be better, I don't mind it all that much. The paint job was done nicely, but I feel the station was too much like the old design. I feel like they should have done a little bit more to the station to make it look a bit different. The overall ride experience was great with some of the added effects such as the new tunnel lights and the water sprayers where the fire was. The only real problem I saw was the red train having a lot of issues. Overall I really liked the changes, but that's not including the VR, I am rating Superman pre-VR.
    Overall rating: 9/10

Superman: The Ride VR (SUMMER-FALL)

Oh boy, where do I start? I don't think it was a good idea adding that blue fencing in the station. Now it is much more cramped, and they added assigned seating! Yay.... Luckily some days they didn't have assigned seating, but when they did it sucked, but what sucked more was the long waits that the VR caused. During the summer the waits were like 3-4 hours. I waited once that long to try the VR and it was not fun. Now the actual VR I liked. I thought it was fun and cool and all, but I would have rather had them put it on another ride then Superman, but it was definitely a cool experience. While I wouldn't want to see VR on Superman next year, I guess I could at least give them props for trying something new.
    Overall rating: 4/10

Fireball

While I don't see it as being a rollercoaster, I think this ride was an awesome addition to the park, and they did a great job theming it as well! They really did a great job at making it look great. I think it adds a lot to the section it was installed in and would highly recommend it to someone visiting the park if they have yet to ride a Larson looper!
    Overall rating: 8.5/10

Overall I think this year was good, despite the VR debacle. The only major thing I think they should do next year is put the VR on another ride or not have it at all, and also introduce choice of seats to more rides. I'm excited for the 2017 season, and can't wait to ride Superman again!
    • Like Like x 2
  3. DJReady999

DJReady999

I only ended up going 3 times and only 1 time after may. VR killed any interest I had in coming back and the change to STR wasn't anything special to me since I didn't ride it when it was STR. But I really do enjoy Fireball and it is a great addition.
  4. Ultimateflight

Ultimateflight

It might have just been the days i went but i felt like it was always crowded, which sucks considering I live nearly 2 hours away. Im glad the park is doing well but the crowds suck. But on the plus side, fireball was a fun addition and I've found that it usually isn't a long wait compared to other rides.
  5. koasterkid

koasterkid

I think 2016 was solid besides the whole VR and choice of seats disaster on Superman and Cyclone. I thought I wouldn't get that many rides on Superman this year, but ended up getting a ton because of the media day and drone shoot. I think I visited about 8 or 9 times and 3 or 4 were amazing visits, 2 or 3 were average, and 2 or 3 were crowded disasters. The Superman media day was probably the best day because the crowds were very light and got a ton of rides on Superman and Cyclone.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. depotrat

depotrat

We went to the park six times this year and I went by myself a few more times. The seat choice travesty diminished the enjoyment some. But we did have several good visits after Mr. Doninger got involved with making sure the entire staff knew the choice of seats policy.

We renewed our passes and have hopes of much better operations right from opening day with choice of seats at WC and STR and no VR. I must say I am almost optimistic and you all know I was far from that at this time last year.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. BizarroAj

BizarroAj Administrator

Awesome pics thanks for posting them. I think this year will be better with the addition of joker which should help the lines on WC and STR. :)
  8. thrillsnewengland

thrillsnewengland

Stunning pictures! The drone shots were especially beautiful. Overall I loved 2016. I thought Fireball was a perfect addition to the park and Rockville and I loved seeing the red and blue Superman as I had only ever known it was Bizarro. The VR was really cool (when it worked) but the lines weren't. I am really, really excited for next year and can't wait to see what the Joker brings!
    • Like Like x 1
  9. xsarabella

xsarabella

2016 has to go down as one of the worst seasons I can remember. I visited SFNE the fewest amount of times in 2016 (since 2010 when I went only twice) I only stayed for the entire day once out of the whole season. I only went to HH 3 times. I barely rode Superman, I didn't even keep record it was so few. WiCy I rode more than last year and choice of seats at the end of the season definitely helped restore my faith in park management.

The park was crowded every time I went & I got bored too quickly. The food was terrible this year, they definitely changed the burgers at JB's to regular park burgers.

The park did a fabulous job with the Superman transformation until VR came and killed the vibe. And Fireball was well done and a great addition but I never rode it.

I am really looking forward to 2017 and Joker reviving the south end. I'm glad that SWF is gone with the dirty water and ugly structure. I know SFNE is going to make Joker look brilliant and for those who visit SFNE and does not frequent Gadv will love Joker, the GP will eat it up and I hope SFNE adds a lighting package to it. Great Adventure had no lighting for the regular season but then added a green spotlight on it for HITP which they should have had all along because it looks great.

Nevertheless I still love the park and I miss it a lot, I am optimistic for 2017 because I don't think it can be any worse than 2016 and as long as VR is not on Superman and the station is restored back to normal with choice of seats on both STR and WC FOR THE ENTIRE SEASON, NOT JUST WHEN THEY FEEL LIKE IT OR CERTAIN STAFF MEMBERS ALLOW IT, that will automatically make it better.

Ps - thanks for sharing those beautiful picture. You definitely have a talent @DylanBIZARRO!
    • Like Like x 2
  10. depotrat

depotrat

^I saved Mr. Doninger's email address just in case. I want to believe, but Six Flags has burned me too many times over the years. Still, I am hopeful because in my discussions with him he really did seem to get it that forcing people into seats was counter productive to the customer experience they strive to attain.
  11. xsarabella

xsarabella

I just hope that the email isn't needed or management doesn't pull a "that was last year and things have changed" :/
  12. BizarroAj

BizarroAj Administrator

I was happy they finally put something in rodeos spot. I agree about fireball being a great addition in that spot and the area looks awesome with the makeover. I for one had no problems on superman and i loved the VR. This should be a great year for the park as i see the joker being a big draw since SFGrav is having so much trouble with their's.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. depotrat

depotrat

^I hope everyone is in line for Joker as we do multiple rides on WC and STR!!
  14. DylanBIZARRO

Thank you!
  15. CannonballLover

CannonballLover

This season is by far the worst season I ever witnessed at SFNE. Honestly, it was worse than Cyclone's closure (lol).

Every year prior to 2016, the park always seemed decently clean to me. The food was decent, the park grounds were a bit clean and the choice of seats were phenomenal.

None of this was there in 2016. I didn't even ride Superman more than twice.

I had a season pass, and I only visited twice, and paid full admission three times to Lake Compounce instead.

My first visit in 2016 was pretty fun over April Break, a little crowded but the rides were great. My second visit, however, basically made me not visit for the rest of the 2016 season. Rides were breaking down frequently, my food was practically frozen, and there was vomit on a good portion of the walk way in the North End.

Despite these flaws, 2016 had some great moments. The park added two new flat rides, and they look amazing in their locations. Wicked Cyclone was running vicious on April Break and it was the best rides I've ever had on it, and Batman became my second favorite ride in the park due to it's unbelievable intense cycle.

I'm looking forward to hear about the 2017 season, it looks great, but I think I'll only visit once, and that's April Break.