1. To fully experience SFNE Online, including full-resolution photos, please log in or consider joining our community!
    Dismiss Notice

A Place Like No Other: Cp 7/17/18

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Chase Hathorne, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Chase Hathorne

Chase Hathorne

I remember after I first rode STR back in the SROS days, a few days later 8 year old me was browsing roller coasters on Coaster Force and I came across Cedar Point and this gargantuan blue giga coaster Millennium Force. From that moment on I wanted to go to Cedar Point.

Well it took 10 damn years but I finally made it and it was everything that I hoped it would be. It was actually even better

We pulled into the parking lot at 9 and since I was just a day ticket peasant. I had to wait until 10 watching all the early entry people enter. Once we finally got in you probably know where went

Of course, we went straight to Steel Vengeance. I never had the misfortune to ride the garbage wooden coaster it previously was, but if it was as bad as people said I can’t believe what they turned it into.

The wait was almost an hour and 45 minutes. Didn’t have the fast lane (still only 18 so I’m on a budget lol). Luckily I got assigned to row 11, which is where I wanted to sit anyway. The drop surprisingly wasn’t as insane as I expected, I prefer WiCy’s honestly. After that it’s pure unadulterated insanity. The first hill has absolutely huge sustained ejector and then outward hill after that has some of the most insane ejector air I’ve ever experienced. Then it goes barreling through some crazy inversions and hits the MCBR. The drop out of this thing caught me by surprise as it had huge ejector air.

Remember when people were worried it was going to have pacing issues after the mid course? Lolololol pacing issues my ass. It’s just a non stop assault of ejector air, inversions, and lateral airtime the whole way through the rest of the ride. This thing really is the best coaster ever built. I don’t see this thing being topped anytime soon. Move aside STR, this is my new #1 Steel and my #1 overall, by a long way to. After that we were going to stop over at Maverick but it was down, so we settled for Millennium Force.

The hype for this ride was deafening. From the people who absolutely love it, to the people who think it’s a forceless boring pile of steel. And because this ride is always compared to STR, I was curious to see if the ride that was always ranked ahead of it was infact better.

Strapping in for the first time and my god I love MF’s trains. If STR got these back the thing would literally be perfect and I think it would have a shot at reclaiming my #1 spot. Up the lift hill we went and what a view. This rides location is absolutely amazing. Down the drop and man oh man, the drop is just as good as it looks, so much airtime and so so intense. Then the first overbank is insanely forceful. There are people out there that call this ride Millennium Forceless?? Lmfao ok. The rest of the ride is just absolutely mind blowing speed, a couple more good overbanks, some fun floater air, and a nice pop of ejector past the station. Then it barrels into the brakes feeling it’s still going as fast as it was at the bottom of the drop. Not overrated at all. This ride is awesome. And this wasn’t even the tip of the ice berg for this ride. It’s gets even better with my later rides.

Since Rougarou is right next door and it had no wait we stopped over there. Fun floorless coaster, not my favorite, still prefer Bizarro but this was still really good. A bit shaky but nothing to bad. Probably blew as a stand up though.

At this point Maverick opened up so hopped in line and 45 minutes later I was in line for the back. As the ride was getting ready to launch up the lift they stopped the ride to fetch a phone from an idiot in the front row. So they took the morons phone, restarted the ride and then we get laughed up the lift and get yanked over an surprisingly insane drop. Then we get ripped through some of the craziest transitions with some of the most powerful laterals I’ve ever experienced. Then the airtime hill after that has some of the strongest ejector air I’ve ever experienced. After that the intensity dies down a bit until the launch. The launch is really good but I absolutely hate how they slow it down right after that. The 2nd half is really good especially the Stengal dive. Good thing this ride has the soft straps because I got some neck bashing that would’ve been awful if it still had the hard restraints. I almost feel bad for this ride, in almost any other park it would be by far the best one there but there’s the most insane coaster on the planet next door. Still an absolutely phenomenal coaster and is definitely in my top 5.

After that we hopped over to Gemini and were greeted with a station wait. Plopped down in the 2nd to last row. What a surprisingly good coaster this is. Has a couple nice moments of airtime, very smooth for a coaster that just turned 40 and watching people on opposite trains high five each other as the trains run next to each other was entertaining.

After that we hopped over to Dragster. Now I love Kingda Ka and think it’s absolutely overhated and people always rave about how this is so much better. Well I don’t really think it is. The lap bars are much much better than the OTSRs but the smoothness of Dragster is overrated. I rode it in the front (like I always do on Ka because it’s where you should be riding anyway) and there’s absolutely no difference in smoothness from the front seat. I also think Ka’s launch is a bit stronger. It’s only 8 miles an hour faster and only accelerates to its top speed half a second quicker but it just felt much stronger. So I can’t really pick between the two. They’re too similar for me. It’s still absolutely epic. These Intamin accelerators with the cable launches are bonkers.

After that we just hit the rest of the coasters. Corkscrew is right by Dragster so we went there next. It really sucks. I get it’s iconic but good god, it’s the only bad coaster here.

Valravn was next, it was ok. The GP is obsessed with this thing. That’s a good thing I guess it pulls people from better rides. So my first dive coaster experience wasn’t very good but I’ve heard this is one of the worst ones? Oh yeah The restraints really suck.

Raptor was next and I’m huge fan of B&M inverts, this one is no different. It’s loud as hell, you can hear this thing from all the way across the damn park. It’s very intense, it’s long, and very smooth. That helix is also insane.

Gatekeeper was next, never ridden a wing coaster so this was a new experience. It’s very smooth, the wing over drop is cool, it’s kinda forceless but still really really fun.

Wicked Twister was next door so stopped there and there was no wait. Not really much to say. The launch is cool the spikes are cool too.

Then we stopped over at Magnum since it was down earlier and hopped in line and waited about half an hour. Was pleasantly surprised by this ride, I went into it expecting a rough old hyper with uncomfortable restraints that just ruin the airtime. I was in the 2nd last row and got the just the opposite. It wasn’t that bumpy, the restraints were weird but didn’t hurt and the airtime on the return run was awesome. Not the best hyper but for the first one ever built it’s still really really awesome.

At This point we had ridden every coaster we wanted so it was time for some food at Chick Fil a and then it was time for some re rides.

Hopped back over to Millennium Force and there was about a 10 minute wait. At this point they were only running two trains instead of 3 but the line still moved fast because the crew on this ride is so so good. Hopped in the back seat and it was even better than earlier. And because the wait was so short we hopped around and did another ride in the back. This coaster is really really awesome, I can’t believe there are people who don’t like this thing.

We headed back over to Maverick and at this point the sun was setting and we were thinking about which rides to do at night. SV was going to be one but we were over at maverick this time for 45 minutes and not one train was sent up the lift. Our sunset ride on Maverick tho was awesome, this time in the front and it was even better. The air is so much stronger and the turns are much more forceful towards the front.

Steel Vengeance was still not open so, feeling a bit worried we wouldn’t get another, we headed over to Dragster for a front seat night ride. It was about a 45 minute wait. It was so worth it. Bugs into the face and all it was absolutely breathe taking.

At this point it was 10:10, and SV still wasn’t open. So Millennium Force it was. At this point it was a station wait and from watching the thing race by, this thing was absolutely hauling big time ass. Strap into the train and up the lift and let me tell you guys..... Millennium Force at night is one of the most breathe taking rides I’ve ever had on a roller coaster ever. The crowd at this thing also gets so so rowdy. I’ve never heard a coaster station get as loud as this rides at night. And because the line was so short and we never saw SV running from the lift of MF we just stayed there and rode it seven times in a row. Then on our second to last ride a little after 10:50 we saw a SV train rocketing down the drop. At that point it was to late to run back over there so we stuck around for one more MF ride and got the last train of the night. 2nd to last row, with the thing running like an absolute dream. This is as much fun as I’ve had on a coaster in a long long time. SV and Mav are the better coasters but MF at night was the highlight of the day for me. It’s absolutely epic. Not as good STR but it is close.

What an end to absolutely epic day. This park is everything I hoped for it to be and I cannot wait to come back here again very soon.

I didn’t take many pics but here’s some 16408C69-541D-4F54-8BC3-F642687327E0.jpeg 870A89EF-B182-4896-8B65-AE6B0A63EAB6.jpeg
    1C3B81CE-F82F-4853-BDE4-425133837CDB.jpeg
    DAF218D5-0CA9-42AB-A596-E21C1760C159.jpeg F64F9004-10AA-43DA-B176-95B01D9B4D6C.jpeg
    FFD9FC4F-A924-4A3E-A6B1-3D3ED9E4B8C2.jpeg
    • Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  2. depotrat

depotrat

CP your first time will always be special. It is quite a collection of coasters. To your points, Mean Streak had become a coaster that hurt some folks it was so rough and the demand to ride waned to almost nothing. You are correct that the restraints on Maverick when it opened were painful. I hated the ride until last year when I rode with the new restraints and it is now a top 5 coaster for me. I totally agree with you about MF and especially at night - what a rush. As for TTD vs. KK, I prefer TTD because of the restraints as you mentioned. I hate OTSRs when not really needed. Great report and thanks for sharing!!
  3. BizarroAj

BizarroAj Administrator

Wicked twister is only good if you ride in the last row. Did you ride any flats? They have a couple rare flats that are a must for me when i go there. I agree with you about valravn, i think dive coasters are a waist of money considering the high price tag. I have always voted for cp for best park in the gta's ever since i went there for the first time but its #5 on my top favorite parks list. Did you get to walk the new boardwalk or ride the new boardwalk buggies?
  4. Chase Hathorne

Chase Hathorne

No I didn’t ride many flats, just Skyhawk. Probably a mistake since a lot of them seemed really good but I was dead set on getting as many rides on the coasters as I could.
  5. depotrat

depotrat

^We were there two weeks ago with a plan to mix in some flats. Well as it turned out - not a one ridden. LOL Too much fun on our favorite coasters until it was time to go. Maybe next time. (we say that every time)
  6. BizarroAj

BizarroAj Administrator

^that's why i always go to coaster mania so i don't have to worry about riding the coasters. I highly recommend doing coaster con in 2021 with kennywood and cedar point as the host parks and you can hit knoebels on the way there or the on the way home, you can't get any better then that! :)
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Dr. Gigglez

Dr. Gigglez Forum Leader

Great Report! Im one of the MF Haters hahaha I get just about zero airtime hahaha just the tiny blip past the station! Maybe when I rode it i was fatter then I am now. I just don't care for speed coasters! My last visit was in 2012 , so I've got some credits to get when I return! Glad you had a great time!
    • Like Like x 1