1. To fully experience SFNE Online, including full-resolution photos, please log in or consider joining our community!
    Dismiss Notice

Best strata coaster?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by SROS Master, Jul 12, 2013.

?

which ones better

1. Kingda Ka

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Top Thrill Dragster

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SROS Master

SROS Master

Which strata coaster do you think is better?
  2. tge98

tge98

To be honest the only reason I like dragster better is because you know when you are going to launch. At a ride standpoint they are almost exactly the same minus the hill on kingda ka
  3. MeAmBizarro

MeAmBizarro

Dragster by a long shot. The atmosphere is better, the theming is better, there's lap bars, and you can get really close to it which makes for great photo opps.
  4. CannonballLover

CannonballLover

Kingda Ka because of the little hill.
  5. WiCy#1

WiCy#1 Administrator

^You've never been to Cedar Point, how can you vote in this?

While I've never ridden TTD, everyone I know who has been to Cedar Point says TTD is better. I'll be surprised if anyone (who has actually been to both parks) says Kingda Ka is better.
  6. djcyberlegend

djcyberlegend Forum Leader

I vote Dragster because like Nadine said it has better themeing, it's a bit smoother and has a mini-grandstand next to the launch area where you can take photos. It also has sound effects in the launch area to simulate an actual dragster experience.
    I used to think the same way until I rode TTD last season for the first time & made it my 50th credit. The camel hump on KK after the drop doesn't change it enough to put it over the top for me.

< Side note >
    Because of the mini-grandstand I got to taunt everyone on our big giant road trip when I got the last train of the night at Coastermania, Jeff has a photo on FB of me giving him a raspberry... :p
    < / side note >
  7. SROS Master

SROS Master

I like Top Thrill Dragster more because of the lap bars, awesome themeing/suspense before the launch, and I find the ride a little more intense. Plus there are no trims utop the tower, making the drop part more intense at times. Plus all the seats are smooth, and not just the front row.
  8. mrceagle

mrceagle

I didn't vote because I haven't been on either. but I dislike the strata coaster concept. Very Cheap trip. it's like the corkscrew of this generation. I woudl be more exited to ride their shorter but more complex layout models.
  9. SROS Master

SROS Master

^Your strictly judging the cover of the book. Yes, it only last 17 seconds, but its still very fun. I understand that some may not like it as much, but you should at least give one of them a try.

Case in point when leviathan was debuted, I didn't think it would make it to my top 10 list, but once I actually ridden it, it became my new favorite coaster.
  10. mrceagle

mrceagle

at no time did I say I woudl not ride it. I simply stated I dislike the concept and that it's a cheap trip coaster. I rank it in the line of coasters like Black widow (arrow shuttle loop) and Corkscrews. they don't do much. but they lead to something better.
  11. SROS Master

SROS Master

I now get what your trying to say. Looping coasters even the older ones I believe are much easier to build and maintain. Of course millions of them(especially bigger and better ones) exist now. I dont see a boom of better longer strata coasters being built anytime soon. We have all seen how difficult it was to built and maintain them especially for Kingda Ka.

Strata coasters are still a modern marvel. They contain a long aggressive launch that last twice as long as many other hydrolic launch coasters. A decent floater/airtime atop the tower depending how fast the train was going, and a stunning view when going down the drop. Im not trying to convince there super awesome, but I am trying to prove there much better than a first generation arrow looping coaster.
  12. mrceagle

mrceagle

No but I believe the tech and engineering will lead to better things. If you drop it closer to 300ft you could add 200 ft at least of track after the hill. I see the tower, top hat, inline twist drop(strata coaster style) beginning as a intro to some future coasters.

but yes not with the height. you invest all your money in the height and the launch.
  13. Tomtortoise

Tomtortoise

The lap bars on TTD are only better because they don't squeeze your legs like the OTSR's on KK. The themeing on TTD is better but I really like the colors and station design on KK (personal preference, whatever. KK has the hill which is fun but whatever, still an abrupt stop after it. TTD has awesome lights.

Overall, they are the same thing, each have a little flare of their own but if you rode one, you rode them both, just depends if you would rather have "ready to go" or a generic beat loop play with those hilarious "got 2 be glued" advertisements.