1. To fully experience SFNE Online, including full-resolution photos, please log in or consider joining our community!
    Dismiss Notice

Coasters at SFNE versus Six Flags Great Adventure

Discussion in 'SFNE Discussion' started by speedygonzales, Nov 3, 2013.

1. speedygonzales

speedygonzales

I happened to be looking at the park maps for New England & Great Adventure just now & noticed something...

Our park has 11 coasters (12 if you count Typhoon uphill Water Coaster in Hurricane Harbor Water Park which the park did at one point a few years back but not anymore...)
    Next year Great Adventure, after removing Rolling Thunder, will have 12 coasters.
    Amazing considering how much bigger Great Adventure is.
    mrceagle...I see now why you say New England has enough coasters for its size.

Both parks have a kiddie coaster, the same family figure-8 style coaster, a big wooden coaster, mouse coaster (although Great Adventure's in indoors), an inverted coaster, hyper coaster, & floorless coaster.

SFNE has 4 different style coasters that Great Adventure does not have: another smaller wooden coaster, spinning coaster, boomerang coaster, & super inverted boomerang coaster

Great Adventure has 5 different style coasters: flying coaster, stand-up coaster, mine train coaster, indoor in-the-dark mine train coaster, & strata-rocket launched coaster

The flying & stand up coaster are not my favorite styles (comfort-wise), so other than Kingda Ka, PERSONALLY I would rather have New England's unique offerings of a second wooden coaster, spinning coaster, & 2 boomerang coasters than Great Adveture's offerings of 2 more mine trains and the uncomfortable stand-up & flying coasters. I know Bizarro is longer than our Batman The Dark Knight, and El Toro is much better than our Cyclone, etc. but to me our collection of coasters is all I really need.

New England also has a better flat ride collection, included water park, & next year the tallest-in-the-world swing ride (Great Adventure will have tallest freefall ride, but I think our new 2014 attraction is more impressive overall - just my opinion...). The included animal safari is nice, but I would rather have an included water park.

I wonder what our TWO NEW COASTERS will be in the next coming years...as well as what Great Adventure has in store for coasters in the coming years...

In short, in the end, I am glad Six Flags NEW ENGLAND is my home park! :D
  2. canobie#1

canobie#1

The problem with New England is that it has very little stand out coasters. Two bad wooden coasters, 2 kids coasters, 4 compact coasters and 2 custom steels. Out line up isn't very good.
  3. CannonballLover

CannonballLover

Thunderbolt isn't bad. It's actually pretty fun!

Also, it's really publicity of great adventure. If they didn't have el toro or kingda ka, we would demolish them. Everyone is always hyped up about Kingda. Cyclone was a lot better then rolling thunder and thunderbolt is better then rolling thunder. El toro of course dominates those two but it is a good match with Bizarro. I know Batman is pretty small compared to great adventures Bizarro. I know Batman is rougher. Here is my choices:

Thunderbolt against RT: Thunderbolt
    Cyclone against RT: Cyclone
    El Toro against Bizarro: Can't tell
    Batman against Bizarro: Batman
    Mind Eraser or Batman: Batman
    Pandemonium against green lantern: Pandy
    Superman vs Goliath: Goliath more thrilling
    Flashback sucks
    Wild mouse against dark knight: Our mouse is more classic.
    Kingda Ka is ROUGH!
    Nitro is fantastic.
  4. tge98

tge98

I know these are your picks but Pandy over Green Lantern? I disagree with you there. Also I don't understand how you can say one wild mouse is more classic than the other they have just about the same layout. I feel making a ride in the dark makes for a much better ride experience and in turn a better ride
  5. speedygonzales

speedygonzales

CanobieFan, I am not sure if you can compare some of the coasters you compared.
  6. canobie#1

canobie#1

How can you say kingda ka is rough when you never been on it?

I think you are under-estimating Nitro a bit. Right there you got two world class, top notch coasters in one park. Everything else is just a bonus. They got green lantern, superman, bizarro, batman, kingda ka and skull mountain which are known to be awesome. They will always be better than new england.
  7. koasterkid

koasterkid

Kingda Ka is very rough and is not a great ride, TTD is way better, but Kingda Ka is still fun. The view, restraints, and smoothness are all better on TTD. I feel like SFGAdv has more world class coasters and awesome coasters than SFNE. SFNE really only has Bizarro as world class and maybe 3 awesome coasters. Great Adventure has way more quality roller coasters than New England. Besides the good stuff at SFNE, we just have some Vekomas, a wild mouse, some kiddie coasters, and rough woodies. Great Adventure has 5 B&Ms and 2 Intamins so they basically win haha. If SFNE's Bizarro was at Great Adventure, it would be the best park in the world haha :D
  8. mrceagle

mrceagle

Speedy - Glad you get my point about the number of coasters. Like I keep saying it's not that i don't want to see then it's they have enough for the space they have. same for parks like TGE. Canobie and LC could use 1 maybe 2 depending on size but that's it.

I do disagree about flats. GAdv has a much better flat collection especially when you look at SFNE come 2014. off my head I can not think of a flat that SFNE has that GADv doesn't have then some.

CanobieFan - I don't get your list. like coasters are not even put together.

this is how I would see it
    SFNE VS SFGADv
    • Bizzaro vs Nitro - Bizarro [NE] (Though personally I prefer Nitro)
    • Batman vs Bizzaro - Bizzaro [GAdv]
    • Mind eraser vs Batman - Batman [GAdv]
    • Gauntlet vs BDK - BDK [GAdv] (indoors aside it's a better ride mechanism)
    • Poison Ivy vs Blackbeard - Blackbeard [GAdv] (quieter ride, closer to the ground. and slightly bigger traditional Double figure 8)
    • Great Chase vs Roadrunner - Great Chase [NE] (NE's kiddie coaster is a world better smoother ride, more comfortable, and more fun)
    • El Toro vs Cyclone - El Toro [GAdv] (Realistically I would take SFNE's 2 woodies over GAdv's Wood Laminate coaster but I have to listen to the many awards and polls)
    • Flashback/Goliath/Thunderbolt vs Skull Mnt/Green Lantern/Superman/Mine train - GAdv (Number aside they are more unique. were looking at 2 OK production models and a classic Woodie compared to 3 coaster layouts including a record breaking stand up with only 1 production model.
    • Houdini vs Houdini - GAdv (OK it's not a coaster but Their Houdini is so much better then outs. outside theming is great preshow area and ride effects)
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. depotrat

depotrat

^ I think you summed up the comparison pretty well. For me, I look at it this way, I seldom spend more than a few hours at a time at SFNE anymore, but SFGADV still has enough world class and otherwise interesting coasters to pretty much fill a day.
  10. canobie#1

canobie#1

They have a round up, faster scrambler,better sky ride, twister, jolly roger, bucaneer and a sky screamer. NE's line up is just sad. Kontiki, awful wipeout, tomahawk (pretty dull) and the new england sky screamer.
  11. mrceagle

mrceagle

I'm not trying to cut down on SFNE I think SFNE has a better rapids ride. the water park is a plus if you're into that sort of thing. I don't think I will care for the new tower much but it is bigger. SFNE has a great tea cup ride. but were SFNE falls short for me is operation. Joker and scrambler are way too slow, Only 1 good show in a small theater, and way too many midway games spewing out annoying come-play calls. GAdv has amazing arenas that are going to wast. total lack of shows, Separate water park i fun but admission is overboard, a pain to get to.
  12. SROS Master

SROS Master

The seats on Kingda Ka other than the first car are actually pretty rough, and the back seats only get worse.

I personally perfur pandemonium over green lanturn, but thats not saying much. I still wouldn't want to wait a half hour to ride it.

While I have not ridden gauntlet, I have been hearing some bad things about it.

Great adventures coaster collection is obviously better. El Toro and Nitro are big pluses, and not to mention a strata coaster to add the hype.

Superman isn't quite enough to make six flags new england come close to rival great adventure, as the park has been somewhat butchered since the removal of some of the most unique flats like nightwing, time warp, and especially catapult!!! Every other thrill ride they have are either your average joe, or just poorly programed.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  13. mrceagle

mrceagle

Themeing is also a bit better at SFGAdv but they have the upper hand given they were built as a theme park not an Amusement park like SFNE was. Landscaping is a few steps higher at SFGAdv Though they have a few too many spots with practically no shade.
  14. canobie#1

canobie#1

I wasn't aware of the roughness on kingda ka, thanks for the tip. With canobiefan not riding it and saying it was rough was strange to me but it still looks like an awesome ride.

There really is no contest though, GAdv is the dominant park. SFNE is making me sadder and sadder each year with their flats.
  15. SROS Master

SROS Master

No problem, though its possible he may have been hearing that Kingda Ka is rough, and could have worded better what he was really trying to say. And yes, Kingda Ka is a great ride, but the best way to ride it is from very front row. The launch is a blast!

Since Catapult is now gone, I practically stopped going, and the only times I will even consider returning is to ride Superman a few times. Besides, Superman is no longer my favorite coaster. My new favorite is Canadas wonderlands Leviathan(which is also home of some of the most unique flats I have been on).