1. To fully experience SFNE Online, including full-resolution photos, please log in or consider joining our community!
    Dismiss Notice

First Time Visitor From Michigan!

Discussion in 'Trip Planning and Meetups' started by Magnum XL-200, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Lifthill

Lifthill

Welcome to SFNE Online. As I'm sure you've already noticed, you'll have no shortage of finding like minded people sharing ideas and experiences relating to amusement parks here.

I would also recommend, if time permits, a visit to Lake Compounce, about a half hour south of SFNE. Their signature ride, Boulderdash is an out-and-back wooden coaster that hugs the side of a mountain. Let's just say it's an experience in and of itself that's won several #1 records. If your looking for lodging, they also have a campground with cabins, tents, tepees and RV parking called Bear Creek Campground on site. Enjoy your stay.
  2. depotrat

depotrat

Marc I saw from your bio that you are an ACE member. I hope you know every ACE member gets one free admission to any SF park prior to July 31. You may have gotten the coupon in the mail or you can access your ACE account online and print one. All you need at the park is your ACE membership card and the coupon.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Magnum XL-200

Magnum XL-200

I did know that! I'm using mine that day. ACE is great. Been a member for a few years. I hit Coastermania every year with my membership.
    --- Double Post Merged ---
    I've heard nothing but spectacular things about Boulder Dash over the years. We were going to try and hit it Thursday but they close at 4pm. We're hitting SFNE all day Friday and leaving that night for Jersey and Great Adventure. We're going to have to miss it unfortunately... Sucks...
    Thanks for the info and help. Much appreciated! Great community here.
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  4. Lifthill

Lifthill

Gee, that's too bad that you couldn't fit it in your schedule. I know they close early in May. If you ever happen to come out this way in October, the park hosts a Halloween attraction called Haunted Graveyard which is incredible. And, as a bonus, you can ride Boulderdash at night. Imagine trekking a wooden coaster at 65 mph in pitch black. It's pretty crazy.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. depotrat

depotrat

May 19 is an education day for LC so they close at 4 PM after the school groups are gone. They start regular weekday hours after school is out. You are just a bit too early in the season. It still looks like a great trip. We are blessed in this area to have five coasters that many folks rank in the top ten (STR, WC, El Toro, Nitro, Boulder Dash) and you will only miss one. If I was you I would leave early, skip CP, and get there in time to ride BD. Valraven looks interesting but IMO it won't be near BD. Plus, you live so much closer to CP that you may get there another time. I don't know where you are in Michigan but it would be a long drive to LC and probably mean being on the road well before sunrise but BD is worth it!
  6. Magnum XL-200

Magnum XL-200

I think that's what we're gonna do. Leave super early and get to LC around 2pm and ride Boulder Dash a few times. Out and Back coasters with a ton of Airtime are my favorite types of coasters. I bet this ride would blow me away! We get to Cedar Point 4-6 times a year. I'll get 10 rides on Valravn this year, I'm sure. I do love Dive Coasters. Air Time machines. Good point. I won't be in this area again for at least a couple years. I know I'm going to one back for sure at some point though.

Yea, every year we go on a big coaster trip to parks we haven't seen yet and this year we thought let's got ride the number 2 (or sometimes 1) Steel Coaster in the world finally, plus the RMC Wicked Cyclone is here. RMC never disappoints. The park looks great anyway. Always wanted to come here.

Great Adventure has an amazing collection of coasters, so it was a no brainier to hit that Park. I'm most excited for Nitro there followed by El Toro. I'm hoping the 4D Joker ride will be open by then too. It looks interesting. Great rides there. Can't wait.

Dorneys on the way home and has some good rides, so wanna hit that. Talon, Hydra, and Steel Force look great. After going here, I'll have been to every Cedar Fair park but 3. Trying to get to them all.

Going to be great, can't wait to be in all of your guys neck if the woods. I hear it's a beautiful part of the country.
    That sounds awesome. The POV of Boulder Dash is incredible and Impressive. I have rode The Beast at Kings Island at night and its sorta the same way. It goes way out into the woods and rolling hills alot of the ride. At night it makes the experience so much better and really amps it up. I cant imagine how awesome BD is at night but I want to find out someday and absolutely will.
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  7. depotrat

depotrat

One more tip. On the day of your visit to SFNE the sun will set just after 8 PM. The park closes at 8 PM but if you get in line for STR right at 8PM, operations may last long enough while they clear the line until it is really dark. It will depend on how many people are in line at 8 PM but a fully dark ride (probably need to be about 8:30) on STR is probably worth trying for.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Magnum XL-200

Magnum XL-200

That was our exact plan already, ha. Thanks!
  9. depotrat

depotrat

We were there this Monday - the sun set at 7:34 and we were on the last train and in the dark at about 8:15. The crowd and line should be much longer on a Friday so 8:30 isn't out of the question.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. Magnum XL-200

Magnum XL-200

Can't wait. I love night rides. How is it running so far this year?
  11. Lifthill

Lifthill

Several years ago, I visited Cedar Point and Kings Island on a trip out that way and I rode The Beast. That is just an incredible state of the art ride. With two lift hills to race you through the hills, it was worth the trip by itself. I didn't get a chance to ride it in the dark, but I can only imagine.
  12. depotrat

depotrat

If you have read the threads here you will see there are some differences of opinion on SROS/Bizarro/STR. In general most would agree Bizarro was a step down from SROS but so far STR is an improvement over Bizarro. I am sure we will all be interested to hear your opinion next month. The night ride we had last Monday was the best ride we have had on this coaster since the first conversion!
  13. Magnum XL-200

Magnum XL-200

There is nothing like the Beast. It's one of a kind. After that 2nd chain lift, that ride flys through those helixes and tunnels! Alot of fun!
  14. ThrillSeeka428

ThrillSeeka428

A few things from yours truly:
    1. Welcome! Happy to see another coaster enthusiast join the forum.
    2. Ride Superman once in the front row and once in the very back row. They provide different experiences, both of which are fantastic. There's no wait for the back row, so if you get there at opening, you can bang out 2 or even 3 rides on Superman if you're willing to wait a bit on the latter 2.
    3. Superman may rank higher in award rankings, but you just might be torn between Wicked Cyclone and Superman after riding both. Wicked Cyclone is BUTTER SMOOTH. Lots and lots of airtime! My favorites are the quick pop after the overbanked turn, and the airtime in the 15 seconds after the 200-degree stall.
    4. Give Houdini a try. Plays with your mind. That poor ride is really underrated, but it never gets any promotion. It's kinda hard to notice. It's up in Crackaxle Canyon to the left of Tomahawk. Be on the lookout!
    5. If you want to say you rode Goliath and Mind Eraser, go ahead, but don't say I didn't warn you. Haven't had a pleasant ride on either the last 3 seasons. I actually think Flashback is the better boomerang.

Anyway, enjoy! I know you'll have a great time. We've got a potent 1-2 punch in Superman and Wicked Cyclone. You will not be disappointed.
  15. Magnum XL-200

Magnum XL-200

Thanks for the reply! I'm amped to try Superman and Wicked Cyclone. The main reason we're traveling there, ha. I'll will absolutely try Superman in the back and front. Has far as Wicked Cyclone, I LOVE RMC. Great company with fantastic rides. Your speaking my language when you say airtime! I'll take great airtime over anything. Houdini is on the absolutely riding list.

Has far as the Vekoma's go, I've rode plenty. I hate Boomerangs and SLCs. I know what to expect for sure. Haha. If no wait, ill ride them just to add to the coaster count tally.
    • Like Like x 1