1. To fully experience SFNE Online, including full-resolution photos, please log in or consider joining our community!
    Dismiss Notice

Horror movies, Halloween 2012

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by mrceagle, Oct 31, 2012.

1. mrceagle

mrceagle

I know there is a Movie thread but this is for Horror movies you have watched this season.

So list the movies you have seen this month. the list your favorites. say top 5. then a top 5 Scariest. later I will start a pool and we can vote for the best.
  2. SFNEKid15

SFNEKid15

I don't really watch scary movies, but this year I decided to get over my life long fear of Michael Myers. My siblings showed it to me when I was 5, and it's scared me ever since. This year I've watched Halloween 3, 4, and 5.
  3. canobie#1

canobie#1

Watched saw 1 2 and 3 yesterday and friday the 13th and halloween during the storm.

Happy halloween!!!
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsoQwvYWfe4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsoQwvYWfe4</a>
  4. mrceagle

mrceagle

I love horror movies. October just gives me a better reason to watch them.

In no particular order

Saw 7
    Scream 4
    VHS
    Child's Play 1, 2, 3 *
    Resident Evil 4
    Scanners 1,3 (tried watching 2 but didn't work right)
    Poltergeist 1*, 2, 3
    The Devil Inside
    Final Destination 5
    Halloween (Original)
    Phantom of the Opera (Original Silent movie)

Halloween but not Horror
    Monster Squad *
    Hocus Pocus
    Teen Witch

* Movies I own

5 best
    Nightmare On Elm Street (Original)
    House on Haunted hill (Original)
    The Exorcist
    Poltergiest
    Hellraiser

5 Scariest
    Quarantine
    VHS
    AmityVille Horror (Remake)
    Exorcism of Emily Rose
    The Haunting (Remake)

as you can see from my list there are a few instances were the remake was better then the original. what do all of you think . which remakes were as good or better then the original. add then to your list.
  5. canobie#1

canobie#1

I thought that Scream 3 was really bad.
  6. redsd2121

redsd2121

All Screams were really bad
  7. speedygonzales

speedygonzales

Scream 1 was pretty cool...the rest were too much of "the same."

I prefer horror movies like the ones below...ones that are a little more "dramatic":

1. The Village * to me, one of the scariest, most psychologically-thought provoking movie ever made!
    2. Cujo
    3. Misery
    4. The Shining
  8. mrceagle

mrceagle

The Screams went down hill after part 1. 4 was better then 2 and 3 not quit as good as 1 but pretty good.

Speedy I notice a but of a trend in your list cujo, Misery and Shinning are all Steven King. all good movies.

I am a bit torn with the Village. didn't find it too scary but it was underrated. I find that to be the case in general with M. Night Shyamalan's Movies. i thought Devil, lady in the Water and The Happening were good movies. I think the problem is that Sixth sense set the bar so high they expect him to hit it every time. But hell Wes Craven and John Carpenter rarely hit the level they set for themselves with Nightmare on Elm Street and Halloween.
  9. speedygonzales

speedygonzales

Yeah, "The Village" was def underrated. I did not see the TWO twists coming AT ALL. I was very surprised, I thought it was very well done, and when I watched it multiple times after, I picked up on so much more. The cinematography and musical score are top-notch. Ron Howard's daugter should at least have beeen nominated for best actress at Oscars.

The movie was internationally hated, but if you read websites, it says you have to be a very deep, thoughful person to appreciate the beauty of that film. If you went to go see a monster-in-the-wood horrorflick, of course you would be disappointed, but the movie begs for intellectual discussion afterwards. Such a portrait of how sad our world is today.

And a great love story!
  10. mrceagle

mrceagle

It's a very old school style horror. Many of those movies were not about what you saw but what you couldn't see.

I need to re watch it it's been a very long time.

As for Oscars horror movies are never given the respect they often deserve. Many deserve nods in special effects and cinematography. Quarantine has by far the best sound editing and mixing of any movie I have seen, much of the movie take place in low light or in some cases in the dark. but it like many others they doe no respect.
    Comedy's are also often overlooked for acting.
  11. Mr Scary

Mr Scary

though not a true horror movie- Signs was pretty powerful when you first get a glimpse of the alien

original Jeepers was kinda cool
  12. mrceagle

mrceagle

I didn't care for signs. The casting was horrible. I found the passing a bit off also.

Jeepers Creepers was good and while the sequels are not to par there are still enjoyable and have some level of suspense.

I'll keep posting any horror moves I watch here. other movies in the movie thread. I have 42 gigs of horror movies so I should work harder to eat through them.
  13. speedygonzales

speedygonzales

Signs is another one that people were disappointed with because it wasn't "alien attack scary," but the message of that movie is SO powerful! That director (same as Village) is very good at "scarying" you in non-traditional ways - very subtle, but very effective.

Jeepers Creepers...I think 2...where they are on the school bus...is SO scary :shock:
  14. mrceagle

mrceagle

ya JC 2 is on the bus.

It was not the delivery or the fact the alien wasn't seen till the end. it was teh performances and the overall story that didn't do it for me.

Watched 2 movies last night.
    A Haunting in Salem - Pretty good a few good scares. acting was a bit flat but it was a low budget movie.
    Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter - not as bad as the previews made it look. worth while hated the CGI Vampires. The Lincoln makeup was horrible. I did learn one thing about Lincoln he grew the beard to avoid looking Liam Neeson.
  15. canobie#1

canobie#1

I honestly loved jeepers creepers. It was something that nobody did before.