1. To fully experience SFNE Online, including full-resolution photos, please log in or consider joining our community!
    Dismiss Notice

Lake Compounce PTR 10/5/14

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by koasterkid, Oct 6, 2014.

1. koasterkid

koasterkid

October. My favorite time of the year for amusement parks. Nice cool weather, night rides, and Halloween haunts. This visit was probably one of my favorites. Crowds were almost non-existent, lots of new things, and night rides on the Best wooden coaster in the world.

Rides
    Boulder Dash x6
    Wildcat x1
    Downtime x2
    Ghost Hunt x1
    Zoomerang x1

I did spend a lot of the time walking around and enjoying the park. Now that I look back I didn't go on much but there were no lines. Two train wait max on BD. I think I re-rode once.

I guess this didn't come out that great, but it looks cool!
    [​IMG]

The tunnel has a spidery theme. The tunnel is great and looks incredible at night. They have added fog chillers that spit fog out of a tube going across the top. When the wind is right, it looks awesome. The park was using 4 black lights instead of the regular lights they use on both sides. It looked great. They also added a cool facade to the front that you can't really see, my bad. The two things they put on the sides of the tunnels were not there.

[​IMG]

Here is the really cool new front entrance. It looks great during the day but at night it looks so cool! They might have adjusted the sound and more at night because it sounded and looked so much better than before. Really cool. Basically the car siren goes off and the box on the right starts moving and bouncing. Looks really cool at night with the fog and lights.

[​IMG]

The attention to detail is pretty great.

[​IMG]

Most of the lights for the front entrance Holiday Lights show have been put up. Nothing wrong with snowflakes in October right? You can really only notice the stuff at night, although its kinda weird seeing lights strung all over the buildings. They also were working on the Light-o-rama setups for the show.

Anyone know what those blue sticks are from? Ill get to that later.

[​IMG]

There is also a bucket that pours toxic chemicals.

[​IMG]

If you look closely the car has a weird Lake Compounce logo with dinosaurs in it... maybe foreshadowing the future?

[​IMG]

So those blue poles at the front entrance were from the fence around the Outdoor stage. It appears that it is being removed/moved. Clearly it looks like the future addition(s) will utilize this space.

[​IMG]

Things look like they were ripped apart carelessly so I believe this is the end of Cirque En Vol.

[​IMG]

The Thriller show area! It does seem like the show is getting a little stale but they did a great job this year. The actors looked great and did a good job. I do think it is time for something new but it is still decent.

[​IMG]

They put together another fog chiller for this area, looks awesome!

[​IMG]

The front entrance props from last year were put around Boulder Dash, and it looks pretty cool!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I feel really stupid. I literally never knew the point of those coffins with the faces and red light. I just found out that its an illusion and they follow you so it looks like they are always looking at you. Really neat. Can't believe I never noticed, I thought they just moved back and fourth lol.
    [​IMG]

Another view of the stage. There is a decent amount of land there and behind zoomers/kiddie land. They could definitely put in something large if they wanted to. With the Enterprise rumors too maybe they will get a coaster that uses part of each footprint and goes around the north end of the park. Could be possible, If the addition is going to create lots of "buzz" a coaster is the first thing that comes to mind. I feel like Jerry wouldn't have said that if it was for a flat ride.

[​IMG]

The park is reusing some of the old props to make a little dough. The old execution chair guy that was used in the old haunts was in the booth and you can get your picture taken on it...

[​IMG]

The lighting on Zoomerang looks fabulous. Let me just say that this has to be the smoothest boomerang ever. I sat in the front and it felt so smooth. The reverse part was a little jolty but it was great.

Ill get into a few details then I will go over the park at night and the graveyard.
    -Boulder Dash got a new top layer of wood on half the brake run to the transfer track.
    -Wildcat now has an auto spiel and was playing Halloween music too. I don't know if it is for October only, but I kinda liked it. I kinda hope BD doesn't get one though. There were new speakers all over the station and on the brake run.
    -Ghost Hunt still has awful guns but the effects and lighting is phenomenal. I noticed the entire ride smells like coffee though...
    • Like Like x 1
  2. koasterkid

koasterkid

Now that the sun has gone down, the park is really starting to get awesome. I guess the Thriller show is the parks version of the awakening which starts at 6:40. All of the actors (for the park) participate then either go to the Clown Haunt or roam the park to scare people. The Thriller show still seems to draw people although it is getting a little stale. Anyway I went out to grab a $10 graveyard ticket and took a few pictures of the entrance at night. It looks crazy good. I love the front entrance so much.

[​IMG]

Now that I look at the pictures it looks like the had a few Holiday Lights lights in use. I think they now use the same system to control the lighting for the lightning effect. It different now and I do miss the bell that rings every once in a while, they should bring it back.

So sick at night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A few new signs around the park. Boulder Dash!

[​IMG]

The tunnel looks so cool at night.

[​IMG]

I guess I failed at getting a picture of the facade. Oh well. Looks really cool though.

[​IMG]

Let me go over a few things.
    -Boulder Dash was running great. Its funny how it runs so much slower at the start of the day then is blasting through the course later on. A few parts are starting to get a little rough (triple up I am talking to you) but overall still an epic ride. At night this thing is absolutely insane.
    -The park still should add more to do around the park. I remember they used to have another haunt and a show at the stage. They do have MANY actors roaming the park and in the Clown Haunt. I do wish they would add a little bit of theming around the south end of the park, it is pretty dead from the entrance to the Carousel. Now that the water park isn't landlocked maybe they should move Clipper Cove and add a flat there and improve the entrance.
    -Johnny Rockets was not moved into the park like last year, probably because of Pinks serving almost identical food (and you don't have to be 8 feet tall to order)
    -The clown haunt was great, tons of actors. They had the stand for the body less guy that they usually put on a midway in there. I think that thing has actually been in 3 different spots.
    -The pumpkin animatronic is now between the pirate ship and zoomers. Looks good, I believe it was having problems later on though. They should really get a new animatronic somewhere.
    -The actors around the park were great. The bush monster got me heading up to Boulder Dash from the exit. Its fun to watch people get scared by them. Sparky also snuck up behind me but I didn't seem to get scared. They are pretty good though. There was a chainsaw guy too. I counted at least 6 actors. Probably more but the park isn't that big and doesn't need a ton. Many actors also had things in their eyes that made them different which was really creepy lol.

So now for the Haunted Graveyard review. This trip through was easily the best for me. I actually jumped multiple times 6 or 7. The actors were the best they have ever been, lots of new surprises and costumes. One actor that really impressed me was a person trying to pretend to be an animatronic in the cemetery. They were either making creaking noise or some music player was but it was great. The catacombs in the beginning was completely re-done last year and they seemed to have rushed it. This year they went back and added a ton of details, it looks so good. The part around the bats was awesome too, someone screamed next to me and it was the weirdest sound ever. Really cool. The weakest house in my opinion is the vampires, It was kinda dry for me, not that many actors. The Banshees also didn't have the snow effect and had sparkles on the walls. Many new details in there too. I don't know if the snow is gone for good, but the sparkles made the effect even better. The witch area was great, the actors were awesome there. The jungle and temple were awesome. The dungeon also was renovated this year, similar to the catacombs. They added many things and enhanced others throughout the house. I was impressed with the additions and attention to detail. The first vortex also seemed different, it was so cool. I believe the reapers realm might have been re-done but not sure. It is such a fun part. I did have a drunk guy behind me though so it was a little weird. Overall the graveyard is an amazing haunt and if you haven't gone through it you need to! SFNE's haunts will never be up to the same standard as the Graveyard. Best time to visit the graveyard is now!

This October season for LC is definitely looking good and I can't wait to go back. I would like to know a little more about what is going on next year and what is up with the outdoor stage. If I were to guess I would say a coaster or an intense flat and the return of Lake Plunge. That sounds like a good year. So definitely go to the Lake this year the park is the best it has been!
    • Like Like x 3
  3. BizarroAj

BizarroAj Administrator

Awesome report and review, the ending of haunted graveyard was crazy to me.:)
    • Like Like x 2
  4. canobie#1

canobie#1

Great report!

Haunted Graveyard looks really fun and hopefully I'll make it to that event next season.

I will say though, their props do seem a little below Six Flags and Canobie. But the haunted house looks awesome!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. koasterkid

koasterkid

Thanks!

They are definitely lacking in the prop department in the park. But the Graveyard and BD at night is anything but lacking and blows other parks out of the water.
  6. canobie#1

canobie#1

They should do another haunted house in the grove or water park. That would be pretty sweet.

I really like the theming that they did with the entrance way. Looks very cool.
  7. coasterguy91

coasterguy91

^I disagree. I love how the haunted graveyard really takes you out of the park. It feels so much more real when you arn't passing rides or slides