1. To fully experience SFNE Online, including full-resolution photos, please log in or consider joining our community!
    Dismiss Notice

My epic 6 park trip in 9 days Trip Report!!!

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Mikemir87, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Mikemir87

Mikemir87

I want to begin by saying after visiting 4 Cedar Fair parks then going to Six Flags, there is such a difference in the presentation of the parks. The CF parks look so much better, cleaner, fresher. SF half the rides need paint, theres no flats, and great Adventure was unpleasantly packed!

Day 1 - Dorney Park - Wednesday - Park was slow, most guests went to water park, so all coasters were 5 minute wait max!!! Love Dorney for this reason!

Steel Force - 3x - Fun ride and love the trains, they are so simple regarding the restraints!
    Revolution - 1x Once of my favorite flats, but I now enjoy Max Air even more @ CP!!
    Stinger - 1x - it is decent, not to rough.
    Possessed - 2x - Love this ride and it was a walk on, when this is the one ride that usually has a line! I was very happy and rode at least twice, and enjoyed it! What sucked was I fit on this, but I could not fit on Wicked Twister @ CP!!! I was so disappointed to get kicked off of WT, when the day before I fit fine on Possessed!! Damn CP and their shorter seat belt!
    Talon - 2x - My favorite coaster at Dorney, it was fast, intense, and fun as always!
    Hydra - 2x - Fun floorless, and love the initial barrel roll, such a unique experience!
    Meteor broke while we tried to ride, and we did not try again.
    The demon drop was pretty fun, but bangs you around after you slow down!
    The enterprise - 1x - fun ride, love how you go upside down but no seatbelts!
    Whip - 1x - Love this classic ride, always fun!
    I believe that is everything we rode @ Dorney
    We were at the park from 1 - 6

The second day, we drove to Ohio and checked in to the hotel about 25 minutes from CP. It was 8, so we went to CP for the last two hours of being open on Thursday night, and then went Friday all day from 10-5 then out to eat, then back at 8-10. We had the PLUS fast pass, and had a great time!

I must say, Cedar Point is absolutely beautiful, and I can't wait to visit again. It is my new favorite park, its so huge and nicely done. People were friendly, rides are plentiful, food was good, I really loved this place.

The Ride count is a combo of both days. When I went Thursday night, it was amazing. In two hours we rode ten rides. We walked onto raptor, iron dragon, wicked twister, millenium force, and more. Friday night there was way more people, but we got to ride Raptor as the fireworks went off, the night before, we rode blue streak as they went off, it was awesome!

Millenium Force - x5 - It was fun, especially first drop, but where is all the air time? I like bizarro alot better simply due to the fact that Bizarro is an air time machine. Millenium is filled with turns, but so little air time, it was a shame, but fun nonetheless. I rate it 8/10.

Wicked Twister - Could not ride due to short seat belts, despite being able to ride Possessed the day before...

Windseeker - x1 - Love its spot right on the beach, and it was pretty scary to ride, but fun!

Top Thrill Dragster - x1 - Even with the plus fast pass, the line was at least 30 minutes, so we just rode once. It was very fun though and fast! Love the themeing too! The line was so huge! It was only open the second half of the day on my second visit. (8/10)

Gatekeeper - x5 - This ride was pretty fun and smooth, the restraints did hurt my shoulder though. It was fun and smooth, but not very intense. Love the theming and soaring over the entrance gate! Wonderful addition!!! 9/10

Raptor - x 5 - 9/10 - This ride was fun, fast lay out and intense, great invert!

Mantis - x1 - 6/10 - I had to be squeezed in to ride, and I was in pain the whole time, so I did not enjoy it much, the lay out was okay, but a lot of similarity to the Green Lantern. I did like its theme though.

Maverick - x 7 - This ride had a huge line all day, and I can see why! This may be my new favorite all time coaster, it was that good, obviously the rating is 10/10, maybe even 11/10!!!
    The first ride was like no other, I had no clue what was coming, what to expect, and the way you fly through the track was great!!!
    That tunnel was the most amazing part!!! I loved this coaster and wish SFNE had a coaster like this!

Magnum - Holy cow is this thing intense, way faster than I would have thought, and good air time, so good it hurt my legs because it was so forceful! IT was pretty good and we rode it two or three times. 8/10

Mean Streak was closed both days!! BOOOOOO I wanted to try it!

Blue Streak x1 This is a fun coaster and smoother than expected! 7/10

Iron Dragon - x3 - Always wanted to try a swinging coaster, and finally got too! I really enjoyed it, but my friends thought it was just okay. I liked it more, so 7/10.

I rode Max Air three times, and it is my new favorite flat ride. It is so fast and amazingly fun and scary, its so awesome! ! !

We also rode the enterprise, which was fun, and I think thats all for flats.

Cedar Point Mine Ride - 1x 5/10, this was pretty rough, but decently long and kind of fun!

Gemini - This was interesting and always wanted to try it, we rode it once and it had a long line in station, but only running one side. It was fun but kind of rough. 6/10.

I think I covered all of the roller coasters, but there were so many, I may have forgotten some?

It was also interesting how at 9pm it was still day light out, and it didn't get dark until 9:30! That confused me a lot, I kept thinking it was early!

So the next day we drove to Kings Island, and it was a Saturday, we went from 8-10 and it was PACKED and we waited almost an hour to get out of the lot, it SUCKED!!! Since Sunday was Fathers day, and weather said scattered Tstorms, we figured it would be dead, WRONG, it was even more packed!!! We were forced to buy fast lane, but were a dollar short of getting the plus, so I did not get to ride Firehawk or THE BEAST, and I really wanted to try the Beast, but line was over an hour all day.

Kings Island - 8-10 0n saturday, and 11-7 on Sunday.

Eifel tower was a fun ride, and I used it to get a sense of the park layout!

Flight Deck - x1 - 7/10 - this ride was WAY faster than Iron Dragon, but it was fun but the line was like a mile long in terms of actually walking to the station, its so far from everything else!

Rotodrop - This ride was fun and actually spins around unlike the drop tower @ Kings Dominion!

Stunt Track - x5 - this ride is really fun and had a huge line all day, luckily we kept walking right on! 7/10

Flight of Fear - the Saturday night we went, we waited for this for almost two hours, and it was okay, but the MCBR stops it completely, while Joker @ SFA has no brakes at all, so the second half of the ride is so much faster @ SFA, and way more fun. FOF - 7/10 - The trains were also small and cramped, and i banged my arm on the metal bars on the top of the train, luckily the Joker doesn't have those bars!

Diamondback - x8 - This ride is very similair to Nitro, but with staggered seating on the trains. It was really fun though and my favorite coaster @ KI.

Racer - This coaster was fun and smooth! 8/10

Adventure express - x1 5/10, it was smooth but not very long, it was okay.

Flying Ace - first ever invert family coaster, it was alright, but nothing special 5/10

boo Blasters - Ride was fun, but my gun didn't work.

Delirium - It was okay, but Max Air is so much better and faster!

Vortex - x2 - 7/10 - This ride is very intense, but it hurts, a lot of head banging, and its almost too intense at times.

I believe that is everything we did at Kings Island, I wish I rode Beast, but wasn't able too. This park was alright, but didn't have a signature attraction, since I can ride Nitro a lot closer by in NJ, I am not sure If I'd return, unless their next coaster, which is well underway in construction, is awesome!

Monday we drove to Virginia and went to Kings Dominion from 8-10 monday, then on Tuesday from 10-2, then 4-7. when we got back at two, it began to down pour for an hour, but then it cleared up and the crowds were gone!
    KD Ride Count
    Dominator - x5 8/10 - This was a fun floorless coaster, and walk on every time was great! Fun and great inversions, I enjoyed it! It seems so isolated from other rides though.

KD seems to have six coasters all in a small section, which isn't planned the best...

My favorite coaster @ KD is - VOLCANO the blast coaster - 10/10, and we rode it at least 5 times.
    This ride had a half hour wait, but after the rain, was a walk on. IT was awesome, fun, didn't expect two launches, and loved the barrel rolls. This was my favorite coaster, loved the themeing, and the ride was smooth fast and fun. I can't believe no other parks have a ride like this!

Avalanche - My first ever bobsled coaster, and loved it, x3 7/10, it was fun and fast, loved it!

Flight of Fear - IT was identical to Kings Island, and fun but the mid course brake slows it down to much. 7/10

Intimidator 305 - x6 9/10 - This was a walk on both days, it was great! I didn't mind the Kingda Ka restraints, but wow the way it flies through those twists is crazy. While there is some airtime, again Bizarro is better in the airtime department, this ride was intense though, and the turn after the first drop was crazy.

Anaconda - x3 7/10, better than vortex and really fun, alot smoother than vortex.

Rebel yell - 9/10 - smooth and fun! x3

Grizzly x2 - 8/10 also fun and not too rough

hurler - 6/10 x1, this ride was a bit rough...

Shockwave - wow what a terrible coaster, the worst of the trip, it hurt alot!!! 1/10

Ricochet - Fun and smooth wild mouse x 1 7/10

I will add the Six Flags Parks later
  2. djcyberlegend

djcyberlegend Forum Leader

Sorry to hear you didn't get to ride Beast, but also glad to hear you had fun at KD! Did you "gray out" at all on I-305?
  3. BizarroAj

BizarroAj Administrator

Awesome TR so far but you didn't miss much not riding Meanstreak except a lot of pain. The next time you get to CP make sure you ride the classic rides like Cedar Downs and Calypso :D If you loved Maxair you need to get to Kennywood and try Black Widow(much better).
  4. Mikemir87

Mikemir87

Okay, now that I covered the awesome Cedar Fair Parks, I want to talk about my experience at Six Flags America and Great Adventure...

Regarding a question about graying out on Intimidator 305, I did not, but my friend who rode with me said it almost blacked out on the turn after the drop. I can see why they had to revise that part of the ride!

On Wednesday, we drove to SFA and spent about 5 hours at the park...

We got there at 11 and it was average crowds, all coasters were less than ten minute waits, so we had a good time relating to the crowds. I did uncover a scandal and likely cost an employee their job, but more on that in a bit.

Rides:
    First we rode Wild One, I like this coaster, and especially its history in New England as the longest/fastest wood coaster at the time it was built!
    We rode it twice throughout the day, and it is fun and somewhat smooth, but the helix at the end are pretty intense. I guess those were added to the ride when it was rebuilt. 7/10

We did the drop tower, which was only using one car, so 4 people at a time... its okay but not very tall... 5/10

Then we went past the Wild one, to the gotham city area. Their round up is so tiny, its...cute... but we did not ride it.

We rode Joker alot, and its my favorite coaster at the park, its so much better than flight of fear twins, since there is no break on the course until the end!
    We rode it like 7 times, including the front row twice. The trains are better too on this coaster, vs FOF. It does need paint desperately though, but even with one train running, the line always went quick and we walked on several times! 10/10

Last year I came to SFA for first time, and Batwing was closed, so I was pissed... We did not wait for FIREHAWK @ KI because I knew this was the same coaster, and it wouldn't be as long a wait... Well we still waited about 45minutes for Batwing, it was only running one train, and it literally took fifteen minutes for the train to leave the station... it was pathetic. This coaster has the slowest loading times EVER!!! The ride itself was really fun and intense, and my second favorite @ SFA, but we only rode it once, 9/10

Next was Superman, which was less than 5 minute wait with one train. They were putting on new lapbars on the other train when we rode. We rode this twice, and its okay, but its not really big on airtime, and the straight section of track irks me. The helixes are okay, but the ride in general is almost boring, compared to Diamondback/or Intimidator. 7/10.

After we rode rides in that area , we ate at this place near the track bowl of Joker, it was something like snacks or munchies or something like that, it was a small stand with one guy.

Well katik kutari or something like that, charged me a flat $10 for a turkey leg which was $8.99 plus tax. I thought it was strange that the tax would be exactly 1.01, but I was hungry, so what ever... My friend bought something right after me, and noticed he didn't put the ten dollars in the register, but instead put it to the side. My friend bought fries 3.99 plus tax and chicken popcorn 4.99 plus tax, and also paid a flat $10. The clerk gave him my ten, and took his twenty, and again didn't touch the register.

We talked about this while eating, and I decided that we should go to guest relations to complain about this guy.

We filed a report and they wanted to give us our change, but we said its not about that, its about this guy ripping off guests and the park...
    They said they would give us a call later.
    After an hour, we walked by the stand, and there was a detective and security guard counting the drawer with Katik in the snack shack. We stood near the stand to eaves drop, but the security guard began to close up the shop, and they had Katik carry the money bag and walked along with the detective/guard towards the front of the park.
    When we left an hour later, we went by guest relations, and they said he was being interrogated at that moment, and thanked us for letting them know. They said it must be steal from the park day, because other staff were found charging incorrect amounts to let people into the park. They said that the park can quickly loose thousands of dollars, and they have several secret shoppers who go all over the park to investigate. I am guessing they sent a few to his stand to see if he was charging a flat ten dollars, and when he was, they sent in the authorities. Needless to say, who knows how long he has been doing this, and hopefully he pays for his actions, as he was stealing from the park AND the guests. I guarantee he will be fired!

We were given 3 free lunch vouchers for SIX FLAGS GREAT ADVENTURE the next day for our troubles.

So we also rode Mind Eraser, and it was pretty rough, worse than SFNE, 6/10

ROAR was closed all day which was disappointing... and all coasters only were using one train.

Apocolypse - x1 , 6/10, this ride was a lot rougher this year for some reason, and I barely fit and was in pain the whole ride. Something about B&M stand ups and their restraints are not working out for me this year, had the same problem on Mantis, and didn't bother with Green Lantern.

So overall my two visits to SFA have had issues.
    Last year batwing was closed all day, despite testing, for hours, but I ended up complaining to a manager and got exit pass wristbands for Great Adventure, which was awesome!

This year, I catch a guy stealing and saved six flags thousands of dollars, and got lunch passes..

At least the crowds were light!

Thursday - Six Flags Great ADventure
    We got to the park around 11, an hour after it opened, and we waited at least a half hour to go thru the security gates, so that was a bad sign to start the day!

Well once we were in, we realized it was going to be one of those unpredictable crazy busy days, so we were pretty bummed, as we didn't have enough $$ for flash pass...
    We did not get to ride alot, and I will go in order on which rides we did...

We started by heading to Nitro, but it was stuck on lift and closed, so we did the indoor batman coaster, which was a 10 minute wait. Really wish SFNE got this ride, as its smooth and I love the A/C and the themeing. 7/10

After that, we passed Batman the ride as its line was almost at the entry, so I knew it was over an hour. At this point we noticed Nitro running, so we ran over, and waited 20 minutes, and rode it once. Great Ride, and my favorite @ great Adventure! 10/10
    After we got off, the line was already over an hour, so that was all for that!

Skull Mountain, 1x, waited about ten minutes, and had a fun ride, 7/10.

After that we were getting hungry, so we went to the best of the west by the log flume, for free lunch.
    We waited a half hour to get food!!! My friend got a large soda with the lunch pass, while I had mine in my hand, so I was given this tiny cup instead for the included drink, so that was bull crap. Plus I couldn't pay the difference to get something more expensive...
    Anyway, the food was just okay, but nothing special...

After that we waited nearly an hour to go on the Safari Ride, and I must say, I have a good time. It was fun, loved the old army trucks rehashed into ride vehicles, and it was cool going off road. The tour guides were great, and I enjoyed camp adventura which was nice and peaceful. Everything was really well done, and I am surprised they don't charge people anymore, considering they had to build two new stations, buy the trucks, make new paths, and pay a lot more people. This was a great addition, and I bet it will be very popular for years to come, especially since they plan on moving the baboons next year so we can see them!
    We also saw two lions bang, the tour guide was like, I'll let the mom's explain that to their kids!
    He was really funny!

After that, we went on rotting lumber, ermmm rolling thunder, once, and I rode the left side, which I have never been on, because I never see it open! They were running two trains on each side, which was cool, and it was a walk on. It was okay but somewhat rough.

The lines for superman and green lantern were huge, and we didn't even check on Ka, because we figured it would be huge too, and its a long walk!

So after we walked around, we decided to ride Houdini, which is better than SFNE since it has more props/effects, and after that left around 6. We were disappointed that we didn't get to ride more, but it was super busy and we were out of money, so we left. Luckily traffic in NJ/NY wasn't to bad, and we only had small tie ups in CT.

Overall the trip was absolutely epic, and I wish I was still on it! I can't wait to visit Cedar Point again, and despite its distance, it was an amazing park!

The entire trip cost about 2000, and I am now in debt, but it was totally worth it, as I had an amazing time.

I must say SIX FLAGS really looks crappy in comparison to Cedar Fair Parks, and the lack of flat rides at Six Flags is sad, because all people do is ride coasters, since there are so few flats!
  5. djcyberlegend

djcyberlegend Forum Leader

Wow - that was pretty amazing catching an employee in the act!

On a more positive note, I'm glad to see that someone else enjoyed riding Wild One - that coaster will always be one of my Top 10 woods mainly for historic value since its original home was in my area until circa 1985 - during the off-season I submitted a nomination to ACE to see if i can have it declared a Landmark. During my big-ass road trip a few weeks ago, Nadine didn't believe me at first when I told her it was first built in 1917.

Back to I-305 - I rode it a bunch of times during the East Coast Bash trip last season, I grayed out on the giant turn after the first drop every time I rode it, that was the first time I ever grayed out on a coaster.

Next time you go to GRADV, be sure to hit El Toro and Kingda Ka!
  6. BizarroAj

BizarroAj Administrator

I agree with you about TDK being a really good themed ride and i always enjoy riding it when i go to the park :D I can't wait to ride the safari ride when i got to riding of the bull. Why didn't you ride Eltoro?
  7. Mikemir87

Mikemir87

The lines were really long on all of the coasters, and I was so tired, I didn't want to wait an hour plus in the baking sun, so many coasters got skipped.
  8. SFNEKid15

SFNEKid15

I 100% agree with you about the cleanliness of the Cedar Fair parks. And to be honest, it makes a hell of a difference to the general public, not just us enthusiasts. When I went to Dorney Park last year, my family kept saying that they liked the park so much better than SFNE, because there was no trash, everything looked clean, rides weren't in desperate need of TLC. They agreed that SFNE's rides were better, but going to an amusement park is so much more than just fun rides, and companies like Disney, and Cedar Fair seem to understand that.
  9. Mikemir87

Mikemir87

I am surprised there hasn't been more outrage about the swindling six flags employee.
  10. BizarroAj

BizarroAj Administrator

^not much more to say about it, there's crooks everywhere and hopefully the park takes legal action.
  11. depotrat

depotrat

We were at SFA last June. Didn't have much time so we hit Apocolypse first as a new coaster then went to Wild One as one of our favs. Finished with two rides on SROS, as the park closed, which made us long for the old trains at SFNE. We felt like we got everything we wanted there except maybe a couple more rides on Wild One!!