The Next Chapter Of Sfneonline

Discussion in 'SFNE Online News' started by canobie#1, Mar 31, 2019.

1. canobie#1

canobie#1

With the recent loss of our admin Zach, I wanted to address some ongoing issues that people have been bothered by throughout the sfneonline brand.

Our site has seen a major decrease in numbers with member contributions and guest viewers. That being said, our social media pages have not been professionally representing the organization, which is a huge turn off for potential new members.

Its time to discuss new options and ideas about the future of sfneonline because this isn't just one person's site, its all of ours. I've been on here for many years, even contributed on the original site before it crashed. I would hate to see this forum crash a second time.

Lets throw some of these issues out for discussion.

*** For those of you who don't know who Zach is, he is one of the administrators of this site who was a major part of rebuilding sfneonline. Without him, we wouldn't be where we are today.
    • Like Like x 9
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Chase Hathorne

Chase Hathorne

Tbh guys, this site got me through my teen years and even childhood haha. I remember being back on the old site and getting so excited for all the news. It sounds dumb but I want the next generation of kids to be able to have a professional and fun site to go to. Without these sites, I probably wouldn’t know any of you and definitely wouldn’t be in this professional field. I know some of you guys feel the same way.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. DJReady999

DJReady999

100% this! It’s important to have involvement from everyone rather than say have one person decide what’s best without hearing any other solutions or inputs. I remember when I first joined the site a while back in like middle school and it was so much fun. Even throughout high school I was constantly checking everything every hour or so. Eventually there was just something that made me sorta drift away.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. skiburkesurfjay

skiburkesurfjay

I really haven't been posting lately. I feel like the site has just shifted from what it once was. I used to really enjoy it, and now it's just a huge advertisement for YouTube videos that I don't really care for, along with the same few people posting.

I'd really love to see it like it was back in 2014, where it was professional and really felt like a family.
    • Like Like x 8
  5. canobie#1

canobie#1

I think a major issue that needs to be addressed more is grammar. This site used to be great at keeping up with member's posts and making sure to edit "un-readable" things. Now half the time I just give up on posts like that because I can barely read them.

I don't know about everyone else but I feel like the professionalism of the forum has diminished.
    • Like Like x 4
  6. Dr. Gigglez

Dr. Gigglez Forum Leader

This is what I keep saying and nobody has been listening lol

I’ve asked a million times for help! I’ve asked for a lot of things and it took this to get people motivated!

I’m all ears and willing to have all who want involved!

Maybe this should of happened sooner!
  7. canobie#1

canobie#1

I'm trying to figure out where you were asking for help because other than a couple questions about some videos and blogs, we haven't seen you ask the community for help about the overall organization.

I think a lot of us feel that the Grove Show took up an overwhelming amount of the organization's posts. And personally, I'm not interested in the Grove Show, I'd rather get more information on the region's parks and local community.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Dr. Gigglez

Dr. Gigglez Forum Leader

Well if you mean the show itself, not really. If you mean over all with videos, I posted a lot yes!

The Grove Show has been part of SFNEOnline since 2012! Of course I’m going to post about it!

I’ve asked a bunch in posts, videos, Grove Show! People have emailed me , messaged me on my personal Facebook , I’ve messaged people on the forums.

I’ve even made blog posts.

I know I can’t do this all on my own! I never wanted to! I talk about it with SFNEOnline Members on The Grove Show often!

I get it, people are busy, people work, go to school, some people have said nope not me I just want to read posts or watch videos!

I’d love for people to say hey I want to write blog posts, make videos, handle social media, etc! Form a team and have all aspects work as a well oiled machine!

Was never opposed to that, I’m not sure why nobody messaged me before and say hey can I do this or that!

The floor is open to any and all !
  9. canobie#1

canobie#1

The Grove Show was always your thing, not the communities. It started in 2012 and was supported through the site from time to time. Its now become the only thing I see most of the time when I look at the Facebook page.

People aren't going to PM you for help if you don't act first, if you wanted all of us to help out, we would have gladly done so.
    • Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  10. msullivan1

msullivan1 Leader

I agree about the grove show. I don’t usually watch it and I feel like I’m being bombarded with ads for it wherever I look on the forum. I’m also really not interested in the haunt podcast. I came to sfneonline about 3 years ago bc I was tired of the drama on tpr. Let’s not make me regret my decision.
    • Like Like x 5
  11. Dr. Gigglez

Dr. Gigglez Forum Leader

We can agree to disagree.lol If you guys want to help, tell me what you want to help with and we can make it happen! It's ok to not be interested in certain aspects of the site. The Grove Show has its own forum area, if they aren't interesting to people they don't have to check it out and I understand this. These are the things that have been part of it and always will be part of it, along with all the stuff about The area parks. Im not going to go hey guys I'm taking it off. The Grove Show became my thing because nobody wanted to help with that either. It has always been an open platform for anybody with the YOUTUBE Channel for SFNEOnline. There may not be content for everybody, but there is a lot of great stuff for the local stuff in there! I mean am I supposed to not post a video? It's called promotion, you post and say hey check this out of you want to. I come from a totally different background in entertainment where this was ingrained in your brain if you wanted to be successful and I was! If you don't talk about a video, an article, or what ever you are doing, then it dies! To you, you don't like or watch The Grove Show, then go hey this isn't SFNEOnline just the site is . If you rely just on the forums and the site, no matter how much you revamp it, no matter what you do it will die! Then Social Media became a thing and ingrained with the site. Then we added YOUTUBE. These are all very much part of SFNEOnline. I have no problem with people creating videos for the YOUTUBE channel, nobody wanted to ! What you think you know and what you may have or not have heard is not the reality! Nobody paid attention! People may have said oh the hell with josh and then anything he posts i'm ignoring it, but thats why we are here today! Im not here to cause drama, or turn people off from the site. Like you I am a huge fan of the site, the parks and the awesome people that have come to these forums for years. If we work together and combine all the forces of Social Media, the Forums, the Site and YOUTUBE it can be a really fun place, don't fight these things, figure a way to help make it all better!

With that said I am interested to see what you two or anybody would love to do to help the site! IM far form perfect when it comes to any of this and will never pretend I'm the grand master! I am truly thankful and I'll say it a million times that people are willing to stand up and say I will gladly help!

Ive said this the entire time, this site was created by fans for fans! Always has, always will be!

What I figure this what I think we need and you guys can add to it !

* Moderators for the forum
    * People writing Articles for the main site
    * People posting on social media
    * Revamp the entire site

The problem that we do have and we need to fix that ASAP is when people say they want to help and then they don't do anything, then they go hook me up. So if people want to help make SFNEOnline how awesome it was before, we need people that are willing to put the time in effort in !
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. xsarabella

xsarabella

Y’all need to decide right now what you want from SFNE Online and what you want it to be.

Clearly people don’t like the videos, and they don’t like all the ads for the videos throughout social media.

*Separate the YouTube channel again, because that’s what is in the best interest of the site. The people who do enjoy The Grove Show already watch! The people who like Hauntapalooza - raise your hands.
    *People who want to follow Josh and his personal adventures & vacations should be following him on his own personal social media, or one dedicated to those type of postings.

This is just my personal opinion - Josh shares a lot of his life with so many, and those people who also enjoy those hobbies should have a separate place to view them! Leave SFNE Online for those who strictly care about SFNE Online, and have those other things separated for those who care for them! Josh does a lot of good things but not all of them correlate with SFNE Online... he deserves to have a huge following for his own stuff.

You guys want blog posts? Who is gonna write them? You have an idea for a blog - throw it out there!

There is already forum moderators, the problem right now is that the season hasn’t started yet, so there’s not really much to discuss. Once Saturday comes, people will have trip reports & there will be lots of ride discussion, which is what I believe is the biggest thing most people are here for.

Not everything has to be an essay that needs to be written and graded by the grammar police, but the post just has to make sense! It’s okay if you misspell something, or there’s a couple of typos, but READ WHAT YOU POST BEFORE YOU POST IT! I know I’m not perfect and this isn’t the place to pretend to be perfect, but it’s not quality content if you can’t comprehend the message the person is trying to get across.

And finally, the social media accounts;

The main social media is obviously Facebook, so what do you want the Facebook to look like? Do you want meet up events posted there? Do you want links to forum discussions, member trip reports, and photo/video coverage of the various parks?

Instagram should be photo/video coverage of the parks and that is it! If you have a photo you would like SFNE Online to post on Facebook, IG, or Twitter there should be an email address set up to send this to, with multiple people who have access that can monitor it.

Twitter should be used for quick updates/park coverage, and a fun/easy way to interact with the “staff” of SFNE Online. Using the #sfneonline, your content could easily be retweeted.

Now, since I am sure you are aware, I am no longer involved with any of these social media accounts. But I have been a member of SFNE Online for close to 10 years now and I don’t want to see it end like this. If any one has other suggestions, or feels they would be better suited to take on any of these roles, speak up and let Josh know if you want to save all the hard work so many of us have contributed throughout the years!

I wish you all the best my friends!

I’ll see you on Saturday,
    - Sara
    • Like Like x 6
  13. Dr. Gigglez

Dr. Gigglez Forum Leader

I don't see any ads on any of the videos or social media sites with the videos. If you mean me posting a video on Facebook or Twitter, that is not an ad lol that is called posting a video. I've actually started going through the youtube channel and deleting some videos actually, I can't sign into the old SFNEOnline YOUTUBE PAGE it needs a confirmation email which I have no idea whos email it is as it's blocked out. Which if we could that could be used for SFNEOnline related items, but at the moment I cant!

See when I use the youtube channel, the entire process in my head is cover six flags, and parks in the region or if I go somewhere, it is no different then someone posting a trip report in the forums going somewhere. The difference is one is in the text, one is in video form.

Again a lot of this can be fixed, but nobody stepping up! Only one has! So all this talking about the future means nothing unless people step up and say hey I'm down to do xyz!

I am one person and can not do everything, nor do I want to! Those days are over, so if people want SFNEOnline to grow and not die! Time to step up and do something about it!

See here is the problem, I've written two articles in two days, which have gotten great responses, Which I posted on facebook and twitter. I am sure someone is angry that I did that lol

People have this vision in their head of what they want SFNEOnline to be, but nobody is still willing to do anything to help! Look I get you may not like the videos, you may not like The Grove Show, Which Sara you said last week was the best thing SFNEOnline has going for it right now! See I create videos and post them, I try different things and see what works, what doesn't work! I can tell what videos are working and not working by checking out the back end of youtube and I can see views, viewer retention, etc Was I really crazy with posting tons of stuff before? hell yes! When a new video is made, I post it, it is what you do, you post it on social media! If a video is not to your liking there is a thing called " I don't like so move on by!"

If you read the ABOUT ME SECTION on SFNEOnlines website which I did not write, I believe Zach did it states that The Grove Show was added to SFNEOnline as another offering to its members, it didn't say this is Josh's thing and not part of SFNEOnline. I've even compromised to cut down Grove Show posts saying when it's going live! I've cut it way down to two posts a week! It hasn't even posted this week yet.

I have no clue what direction anybody wants to take SFNEOnline, but all aspect is there for us to use! I'm not making a separate channel because some people don't like it! I have other channels that I put a lot of stuff on!

I have a feeling the way people want to take SFNEOnline, just based on conversations I've had with people and I think people want things to be way too similar to 2014 which if that's the case it won't work in today's world, yes we want that family feeling again, yes we want to grow! There are a lot of wants and needs, we just need to hash them out!

So i'll wait and see what people want to do! You all rock, I truly appreciate the feedback and see everybody on Saturday!
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. mrceagle

mrceagle

My time is spread pretty thin, but I will continue to react to posts both here and on social media.

I'm not personally against posting videos. I myself have posted a few of mine but as a complement to a trip report or talking about a park/ride. I guess the key word her is complement. It should be part of the conversation not be the conversation.

One thing I have noticed and could be what is being referenced above is some videos seem to be on the forums more marketing the Grove show. The key focus is the Youtube post and not the forum. Perhaps moving forward they should be more focused on what's going on in the forums.

Post news, let people post, then do the show. Then reference the conversation on the forums, read a few notable posts, then let people chime in like you normally do on the show. Hope this makes sense and helps.

On a side note I do enjoy my time here and conversation we all have. I also got my start at the old SFNE forums.
  15. Dr. Gigglez

Dr. Gigglez Forum Leader

What i started doing yesterday and today has been cleaning up the YOUTUBE Page, Im getting rid of some videos, cleaning up and limiting the amount of Play lists in the youtube account.

Ive also as some can tell by looking at the main page which Im trying to get people to get back to going there has been writing new articles.

The first one was about tips to make SFNE opening day a success
    The Second was all of the New England Park Opening Dates with links to each park and a little blip about each park.

Also on Facebook, I've been posting very little.

I posted the articles each day and today we posted about the free tickets to SFNE for report cards.

Twitter I've been doing daily polls, posting articles and keeping it down to a small amount.

I only posted once on Facebook about The Grove Show, but this weeks episode will talk about opening day, as well as the meet up we have planned for opening day.

Once i get YOUTUBE cleaned up which should take a few days, then I'm going to work on a brand new intro video for the YOUTUBE Page reflecting It towards SFNEOnline. This also means renaming videos, new Thumbnails to the videos, etc

Ive does away with naming vlog videos vlog videos, this way they can be put in proper playlists .

Anything to do with SFNEOnline will be in a playlist just for that, so when we talk about say sane predictions, which fans have asked for or if we do SFNEOnline updates, News, etc will go there. Also, anybody wanting to make videos for the youtube channel, contact me , let me know your idea and we can go from there. I want to be able to make it more diverse with more people involved. Once I work the kinks out with the streaming software then I want to be able to bring people into The Grove Show. People love when there is more interaction and more people on the screen.

Once I sell my house and move I'm actually having a SFNEOnline Studio built in the basement , so those who want to create videos, articles, art, etc for SFNEOnline can come over and do so . I know not everybody can't drive to Rhode Island, but the option is there and the podcasting room can be if someone wants to come down and be there live when we do the grove show or if people want to create something entirely new for SFNEOnline!

These were things that were going on behind the scenes that we have been developing and a change was in the works, but certain things needed to happen to make them happen. The local Parks I have been talking with are very happy and eager to work with us and love the ideas that we have presented to the parks. So As the season goes on , we will have a bunch fo stuff in the can to release to the fans that enjoy that.

I know I post a lot of stuff, It may look like the Super Adventures of Josh, but most of it has been suggested, asked for and some of it, I decided to do! If people go to a park and film stuff and show off the park , by all means if you want to showcase it on SFNEOnline , we can do this. It looks like its all me and me, me , me is because when I present the ideas , nobody bites and thats fine, not everybody wants to be on camera or bother, they just want to consume content!

I've also put stuff from everywhere because like i've said before we have a ton of topics that members comment on all the time from every park under the sun! So while people are talking about it, when we go to certain parks, we are always filming stuff because a lot of people ask me, what do you think about this park or that park, so when i go to the park, I film it so they can see, Its a value to members, maybe not every single one and I get it, Not every video is for every person! You may say Oh I hate the Haunted House reviews or videos because i don't go, but there are a lot of people who value it.

After the Haunt Season ended, Ive had non coaster enthusiasts that love Haunts in a few occasions stop me, asked if I made the videos and thanked me and they went to those haunts because of it! Which brought in new members to the site, to social media and YOUTUBE!

What I will do is not crazy post stuff all over Social Media , but Videos will get posted! Im willing to compromise with the members, get more members involved, but if you get involved, make sure you actually do something because I will call you out for being phony!

So as we have more updates , I will post them here for all to see and then when people have ideas feel free to either leave them here or message me and we can try out the ideas to see if people will enjoy it!
    • Like Like x 1