1. To fully experience SFNE Online, including full-resolution photos, please log in or consider joining our community!
    Dismiss Notice

Water Park vs Dry Park

Discussion in 'SFNE Discussion' started by speedygonzales, Apr 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. speedygonzales

speedygonzales

and we all must remember guys that our water park is FREE with admission (to quote the park) - therefore, the park feels justified in charging full price even when the water park is not open for the season

I disagree with their slogan. The water park is definitely factored into the price of the park. It is ridiculous to think it is not.
  2. SFNEKid15

SFNEKid15

Re: 2013 Survey and Trip Reports

Why does everyone want the park to charge half price because the damn water park is closed? Some Six Flags parks don't have a free water park. It's a benefit. It wouldn't be too difficult for them to make a separate entrance and charge to go to Hurricane Harbor. Some of you have reasonable complaints, but some of these are insane.

As for Sara's post. Yeah, guest feedback is a good thing. It should be used, but guests shouldn't be telling the park how to run their business. If you go to Guest Relations and say "Hi, I just wanted to mention that there was a lot of trash on the ground in the South End" that is productive. You are helping the park. But going in there saying "You need to make the prices cheaper because the water park isn't open, you can't be running one train on Bizarro, get the audio fixed, and train your employees better. They needed help from their managers every time I wanted something, and it was getting me pissed off" will solve nothing.

Think back to when you were getting your first job. Were you nervous your first day at work? How would you have reacted if people are yelling at you to get the line moving? It's your first day, you don't know how to handle these situations yet. It's like sports. Very few people go straight to the pros. They work their way through the Minors so they can work out the kinks.
  3. speedygonzales

speedygonzales

2013 Survey and Trip Reports

Dan, I disagree...our "free" water park is not a benefit, it is definitely included in the overall admission price.

But I think it's okay that they don't reduce admission before the water park is open; it makes people want to buy a season pass to get a better overall value. I think that is smart.

Not sure if it's finally correct, but I have told guest relations so many times that the wooden coaster sign closest to the queue stairs for Cyclone has the wrong park on it. I can't remember now, but I think it says Six Flags Over Texas and it should be Six Flags Over Georgia (for Great American Scream Machine). I find that guest comments/complaints are not always used in a continuous cycle of park improvement.
  4. WiCy#1

WiCy#1 Administrator

No one but coaster enthusiasts will notice that mistake. Also, the water park is not part of the admission price. Look at some of the parks without free water parks that are equal to SFNE. I'm going to be comparing prices at the gate, since each park has a different online deal.

SFNE:
    $54.99

SFOG:
    $56.99

SFDK:
    $59.99

Stop saying that the water park is included in the overall admission price. It's not.
  5. speedygonzales

speedygonzales

I don't see how your numbers above prove your point. Our price is so close to Georgia - I would say because of the water park. Georgia has better coasters (flying & eurofighter compared to our mouse and spinning), but SFNE has the water park - so their prices are similar. Our water park makes our admission price similar to Georgia.

Discovery Kingdom has animals mixed in their too - that might be why their price is higher.

Also have to consider area of country, markets, competiting parks, etc...

I feel like our water park contributes to the overall admission price of the park; without Hurricane Harbor, our park would (I would hope!) cost less than it does now.

Plus the park plays so many mind games with season passes being so cheap and food prices being so high that who really even knows anymore why anything is priced the way it is ;)
  6. WiCy#1

WiCy#1 Administrator

How much do you think it would be to go to the park without the water park?
  7. redsd2121

redsd2121

Say the water park was included in admission, if the water park was torn down and paved over, how much would you say the price of a ticket would be then? How much is the water park reflected in the cost of a day ticket?
  8. coast4airtime

coast4airtime

I don't know. Considering the waterpark isn't open yet and admission price won't increase when it does open, I don't really think the waterpark is reflected in admission price...
  9. tge98

tge98

It wouldn't effect anything all six flags parks are above 49.99 tge being the lowest why would they lower the price below tge when sfne is still clearly better even without the water park
  10. redsd2121

redsd2121

I know it's not. I was trying to humor speedygonzales and see if I could get something out of him
  11. speedygonzales

speedygonzales

It's difficult to answer your question because of what I commented in my post - prices are all over the place it's hard to tell their thinking.

Anyone who pays full price for a 1-day ticket to the park is not smart. Look at SFNE, a 1-day ticket at the gate is $54.99, but online is $44.99. But look at Six Flags Great America (which to me has more in terms of coasters, flats, and water park attractions than SFNE)...a 1-day ticket at the gate is $61.99 ($7 more than SFNE) but online is $41.99 - $3 less LESS THAN SFNE - explain that one to me??

So I can't really answer your question, but I still believe that to think the fact that we have a huge water park and that is not factored into the admission price is absurd. When the water park is not open, the park is not obligated to lower the admission price (although they probably should); I think they keep the same price for the reason I mentioned before: it makes people think it is smarter to just buy a season pass.

Those of you who think you need to "humor" or "get something out of" someone on the posts have to move out of your teenage years to take these posts in a more mature and respectful manner. I am always very respectful in my posts.

mrceagle & perhaps others...why do you believe the park should discount admission when the water park is not open? How about during Fright Fest - does that equal the water park?
  12. mrceagle

mrceagle

Why because the value pre season dose not fit the price. It's that simple. but they want people to get season passes so they keep prices up since that makes the season passes a better value.
    Yes it is. everything that costs them any money Water park, staff, taxes, advertising, etc. are worked into the pricing. So SFNE's water park is worked into the admission price. If the field that hold Untamed had been developed into a water park in 2002 as was proposed 20003 admission would have had to be $35 dollars to cover costs. Instead in 2005 they add Castaway and admission is increased 2 dollars.

but lets look at the other 2

SFDK, has a water Bucket attraction, Animals, Marin mammals, etc coasters are fairly large, descent ride selection, and OK taxes, It's entertainment budget is huge between live shows and animal acts.

SFOG - has a lot more to keep up. the park is reasonably well themed. The taxes are higher then SFNE, this is do to slighly higher taxes and more owned land. Insurance is extremely high huge portions of the park are in a flood plain and do flood regularly. While they don't have a full water park Skull island is a massive attraction with a huge support crew. also Unlike SFNE it actually has a show line up, the park has full stages/theaters with lighting and large show crews.
  13. Mr Scary

Mr Scary

Yes and no. Without a water park in the summer, attendance overall may be stunted because the dry park is small. The waterpark alleviates wait times for dry park lines.
    If you were there Sunday the park was summertime full to capacity due to the cheer leading competition. When the comp was over all the lines were packed. Would you come to the park in the summer and deal with overcrowding and long waits for everything? I wouldn't and my friends wouldn't either. Besides all the guests by food and merchandise which pays the bills
  14. Mr Scary

Mr Scary

This should be its own topic
  15. WiCy#1

WiCy#1 Administrator

I agree. I'm on my phone. If a mod sees this before I get on my computer, please create a new thread out of this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.